Wet cheek after drinking out of Water bowl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMomOf6

Reaction score
Ok so this has been a on going problem! I have a doe that recently gave birth to four and she had just recently started to stick her right side of her face in the water and it is constantly wet. I know that it isn't her teeth because I put a bottle in her cage instead of a bowl and the wetness went away on many occasions. My problem is with the bottle is I don't think she is drinking from it. I want her face to dry up to prevent a skin problem( bacteria ) but I don't want her to be dehydrated with nursing and all. What do you guys think? Crock or bottle? Or a different kind of bowl? Right now I have a small/ med animal crock and a no drip water bottle

Is it the ball type of water bottle and does she know how to drink from it? Some rabbits have no clue if it's not something they have ever drank water from.

I have used the ball and stem type and tried to show her where the water is coming from but I just don't think she gets it. I don't want a skin bacteria infection but I also don't want to take away her water in her bowl because I don't know if she is drinking from the bottles or it's leaking

The ball type is easier for them to learn how to use. You could try a dab of something sweet, like mushed banana, placed on the nozzle end to encourage her to lick at it, but you do need to ensure that she has gotten the hang of it before ever removing the water dish.

You may also need to keep in mind any possible health issues being related to the recent change in drinking. Is there some possible health reason that she is now getting her face wet? Any changes or reduction in eating?

She eats perfectly well but I will try the banana idea. It started a day before she kindled her kits

Thank you so much! I put a bit of banana juice on the tip of her bottle and instantly she started to drink from it. Her face has dried up and she is looking good. Thank you again

Yes I have tried everything with changing water bowls to water levels but she still seemed to get her face wet. I loved the water bowl idea for her because she is consuming a lot of water due to her babies but I didn't want her to get a skin infection. What can you do? Lol they keep you on you feet!

Latest posts

Back