Western PA Humane Society

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditty816

Reaction score
Hey all! I just thought I'dpost this on here to see if anyone's interested in owning another (orfirst) rabbit..

I was watching the news today and they said theHuman Society on the North Side in Pittsburgh, PA has 35 rabbits thatneed adopted or they'll be put to sleep! :(

I found a bonded couple that I'm going to tryadopting but wanted to see if anyone on here could help out too.. Ireally hate thinking that there's bunnies out there that need homes..makes me want to cry..

The fee to adopt is $35 for one and $70 fortwo.. I know that's pricy but that's also what ya pay for in a petstore.. :disgust:

Here's the link to their website if ya'll wantto take a looksie.. they have pictures posted too.. just click on the"Our Animals" link, then "Available Pets", then "Small Animals" and"North Side"...

http://www.wpahumane.com/main.html

Thanks for anyone who's willing to help!

:purplepansy:Mandy :pinkpansy:

mambo, yeah I know.. the spay and neuter is pretty pricey.. paid over $200 for each of my boys' procedures..

I wonder if they would spay or neuter a bunny that wasn't already spayed or neutered for a lower price?

Mandy

ditty816 wrote:
I wonder if they would spay or neuter a bunny that wasn'talready spayed or neutered for a lower price?

Mandy
Yeah they do. They even have special pricing for low incomepeople. I know someone who got her cats both spayed and allshots for $60 each or so when she was between jobs.

Jen

Chocolate Chip is so cool!

get_image.asp

I wish they wouldn't make up breed and/or color names when they reallydon't know and in many cases, they are completely wrong :(

Pam

That's kewl that they do offer special pricing..

Pam, and yeah I wish they wouldn't do that either.. if you don't know, then don't even try eh? or do a little research maybe..

I like Zoe and Spartacus myself.. :)

I could never foster, mambo.. get too attachedto the little buggers and want to keep them.. :)we posted atthe same time so sorry for the double post..

I'd have to keep these two in my basement until they get use to myother 3.. should be fun tho having 2 buns that get along for a change..

You're right, Chocolate Chip is so unique and adorable :)

I want one! *whine*

m.e. wrote:
You're right, Chocolate Chip is so unique and adorable :)

I want one! *whine*
Chocolate Chip is definitely on my "possible" list. If I doadopt, I'll probably go for a neutered buck and a spayed doe so I cantry to bond them.

I'm also really liking: Bunny, Fidget, Zoe and Bobcat.

Jen

Its 35 at my local rescue league....theyspay/neuter them before they can go home. So very much worth theprice...and I saved 2 lives!

Now seriously I ask you does this look like a Dutch ?

and another thing why inthe world do they have picturesof mice and rats but halfthe pictures of the RAbbits arenot available , geee If I wastrying to adopt out I think I would besure there were pictures of allnot just some.

Nice to also know theat ifthey dont find them homes theywill have to be put down ,hmmmmm interesting some HUMANE society.
EDIT. I love that socalled Black minilop sure as heck looks like some kindof Nz cross to me >

I have also decided Iam not l ooking at these types ofposts anymore . theincompetence really makes me angry , notto mention how they seem to always makea point of saying , due to beeuthinized if not adopted soon ( or bydate ) argggggg thats it I havehad my say.

I just got permission from my landlord(sister)to temporarily house one RABBIT for anyone going to theboathouse party that might want to adopt from our humane society. Iwould need a check for the adoption fee. Of coure, the humane societymight want an application from the permanent adoptors, but we can jumpthat bridge when we come to it.

35 isnt a bad price but if they are going to put the animals to sleep then maybe they should sell them at a lower price.

Cristy

Mambo, that is so awesome of you andyour sister.I may need to take you up on that. Ijust emailed them about the French Lop Oliver. I'm not sure how theyfeel about me adopting and being so far, so we shall see. I'll let youknow what they say. I know shelters in the past wouldn't adopt to mebecause I wasn't in their local area.

Tina

Most animal shelters and Humane societies don'thave the time or inclination to go research 30 rabbit breeds.Half the time they aren't even the ones putting them on websitesbecause they are toobusy running the shelter-volunteerstake photos and putthemonline,and just pick a breed because the shelter didn'tspecify (because they don't know). I know that's how it worksat my local shelter. The volunteers who put the rabbits onpetfinder list every single one as "American" until I correct theinformation myself.

Ifind pet stores much more culpable... they OUGHT to knowwhat they are buying and selling, but many times they don't.Or they call a baby that will grow to be a Flemish a "dwarf."Shelters just have to deal with what gets dumped, and usually, thebreed isn't all thatimportant.Theshelterdoesn't careif it's a hollandlop rather than a mini lop - they just care it's an animal needing ahome, even though they may not be rabbit-savvy enough to know thedifference between the two. Most of the time the peopleadopting don't particularly care what breed it is, either.They either like the rabbit - its size and characteristics - or theydon't.

Give 'em a break. Most shelters are mainly for dogs andcats. That they take rabbits in at all is a goodthing. Many shelters don't, and we all know what that means -more rabbits killed or abandoned by being "set free" to die.

They have to euhtanoze them in order to makemore room for animals coming into the shelter. I know it sucks. Butthats how it is with animal controls and some scpas. We have twoshelters in the area. One is non kill, the other is kill. The non killone is always so full that they have to re-direct pet owners to thekill one. And I beleive they take their rescues right out of the animalcontrol since the humane society does work with them.

Latest posts

Back