We're out of pellets...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckie

Reaction score
We're out of rabbit pellets (My guinea pigs eat them too) and Duckie and my piggies haven't had very healthy foods. Does anyone have a good recipe for rabbit foods that I can mix together with ingrediant that we have in the kitchen? :? Thanks!!!!

^ yup, that. Hay and salads for the night, but tomorrow you should buy some more.

Something else though, rabbits and guineas have different digestive needs and should be fed pellets specific to those.

The thing is that we were just at the store last night but we forgot to get them. We don't live close to a pet store or Walmart so we can get them food. :( Yes I've been told that they need different foods but the person that owned the guinea pigs before me fed them rabbit feed because it's so much cheaper. I've been feeding them oats and veggies and hay. What can I feed them as a protein? thanks!

Well regardless it looks like a trip to the store tomorrow is in order. Maybe when you go tomorrow, stock up so this doesn't happen next time? They do need their pellets.

And you're not the old owners, so you should be able to feed them species specific diets. Both are available at pet stores and walmart. Are you offering the pig extra vitamin C in either fruit form or vitamins?

Oats, veggies, and hay have protein in them... all plant matter does, are you looking for meat protein?

I'd get the pellets ASAP. Even if the store isn't close, any sudden change in diet can *really* upset their tummy. You'll spend alot more time and money trying to get them better than if you find a way to go to the store. I personally wouldn't risk it. I've been there done that with bunny tummy issues. =P

They should be fine on hay and veggies for the time being.

What pellets do they usually eat?

Guinea Pigs need Vit C as they can't produce their own. Rabbits can produce their own Vitamin C. That is why they should have their own food, guinea pigs may eventually get sick on rabbit pellets, as they will not get the needed Vit C. HTH

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middling's, Roughage Products, Soybean Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera, Extract Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement. Note: This Products Was Made In A Facility That Handles Peanuts. Pursuant To California Labeling Laws, The Following Ingredient Statement Applies To Product Manufactured In Our Fresno, Ca Facility. Product Manufactured At This Facility Will Include The Letter "F" In The Date Code. The Date Code Can Be Found On The White Strip At The Bottom Of The Bag. Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Mill Run, Soybean Hulls (8.0%), Safflower Meal, Rice Bran, Soybean Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera, Extract Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mono Nitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Is the bunny and pig over 6 months? They should be on a timothy based pellet if they are. Can you see if you can locate a pellet diet thats first ingredient is Timothy instead of alfalfa?

Yes they are over 6 months. The piggies are about two years old and Duckie is 8 months. We're going to get pellets today. What happens if they get an upset stomach?

Yes they are over 6 months. The piggies are about two years old and Duckie is 8 months. We're going to get pellets today. What happens if they get an upset stomach?

Try and find a Timothy based pellet please. The excess protein in alfalfa based pellets can fry their little kidneys ontop of other issues.
Upset tummys in buns can lead to diarrhea, decreased appetite, stasis, which can in turn cause many other issues on its own.

Try and find the piggys a piggy specific TIMOTHY based diet as well :) Plus extra vitamin C

Id say no to that one, It would be nice to find one that doesnt have any alfalfa in it (unless its sprouts further down the list)
The ingredients on the first one were all good, except the alfalfa. They seem like okay foods compared to some, you just need a timothy base :)

Can you go to a pet store and get either Oxbow or Zupreem? Basically nothing at Walmart is ideal, and you should also not switch the brands on them in one day. I'd suggest buying what you bought before, and buying a good pellet from the pet store and mixing them slowly to get them used to the new while mixed in with the old.

As for the guinea pigs, if you have to feed them a rabbit pellet they should be getting veggies such as peppers, citrus fruit, and probably a vitamin supplement to make sure they have enough vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for the skin and teeth and overall health and without it, they will not do as well.

what brand do you feed your rabbits? I'm looking at ZuPreem and it's really expesive! $10.00 for a 5 pound bag!? Yikes!!!!!

Duckie wrote:
what brand do you feed your rabbits? I'm looking at ZuPreem and it's really expesive! $10.00 for a 5 pound bag!? Yikes!!!!!

Yup, with Oxbow I pay $14.99 for a 10 pound bag. Divide that between the 12 rabbits in the house, it adds up fast, not to mention my Chinchilla and guinea pig get Oxbow as well. However, IMO, it's worth it to know that they are healthy.

Especially with the guinea pigs. We had one rescuethat went through scurvy (Vitamin C Deficiency), it's not fun. They are usually okay until they hit about 3 years old, then they get very skinny and stiff and their teeth start to fall out. You do need to make sure the piggies keep their Vitamin C up.

Duckie wrote:
Yup feeding pets is expensive :D We go through 5lbs in about 10 days between my 2, plus hay and salads, rabbits aren't cheap :)

I have my Layla on Purina since she's only 4 months old, but she will be switched onto ZuPreem when she's 6 months old. I have a holland lop, so she only eats about 1/4 cup a day.

It's much cheaper than feeding my dog! He gets grain free food due to allergies and that definitely adds up...

Latest posts

Back