We're moving....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-Family-O

Reaction score
Hey there, we are moving next week, and I was wondering if any of you have had to move with buns?
I have carriers for all of them, and I was thinking our car was going to be for all the animals, I could strp the cages down with the seat belts.
Any suggestions?
I know that rabbits can become very stressed, and it's a 2.5 hour ride to the new place.
Should I refrain from giving them food? Or should I give them hay? And do I give them water?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!!!

I would still offer food in the carriers. Both hay and pellets can be given. I would put the hay in a toilet paper tube. The pellets can go in a tin can (tuna can size), you can poke a hole in the can and use a twist tie to secure it to the carrier. I would not leave water in the carrier and it can leak and you just end up with a soggy bunny. You can bring water and offer it about half way through the trip. If your buns are used to eating veggies, give them some too. They might not want to eat pellets of hay during the car ride, but veggies can tempt them to eat and are good fro hydration.
Make sure to have bedding in the cage, preferably something absorbent.
Ideally, the carriers should be sideways in the car. They should face the doors, not the front.

I would try to get their cages set up as soon as you can. Even if it means that you have to move them later, the buns will be more comfortable. If you use pens, you could possibly just set those up for the first night and work on the cages the next day.

I put Sheriff, my large rabbit, in a cat carrier, but I only had one. Chewbacca my lionhead sat on my lap.

I sometimes take them on an hour ride to our in-laws..again with sheriff in the carrier and chewbacca on my lap. Its only an hour so I don't give hay/food/water (Because it would go to waste) but I set them up immediatly and have water ASAP.

Just try to have thier habitats set up as soon as possible..

:)

For a 2.5 hour trip, I wouldn't worry too much about food during the trip. I'd feed them and give them a drink before setting out, thenoffer plenty oftheir favourite green veggies and water upon arrival at your destination.

I also second the advice to have their cages set up as soon as possible upon arrival to allow them to destress in familiar surroundings after the car ride.

One other piece of advice would be, if your rabbits haven't travelled much by car, take them on a couple short car ridesbefore the trip to get them used to the idea of it. The first time Gus was in the car he was VERY stressed. He's still not keen on it, but he seems much calmer in the car than he did before.

I found these two pages very helpful for transporting rabbits in a car:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Transport/Carrier/Carrier.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Transport/Car/Car.htm

I don't recommend holding a rabbit in your lap while travelling. In a sudden stop, it could fly into the windshield and be injured or killed. :tears2:

Hope that helps!

Rue

Awesome! Thank you all so much!

I think I'm stressing out more than they are lol. They're all pretty good in the car. I'll have some canned pumpkin with me, and maybe I'll use some as a moving 'treat' halfway through. That way i know they have eaten and are hydrated.

Their cages are the first things getting set up in the house. I had that planned out already lol. I think they will like this new place! i know I will, glass doors between the living room and dining room, which means I can separate them all and have them out at the same time. Yayness!

We are trying to see if there is another route that is shorter, which would be nice.

Alright, well back to packing. Not so yayness.:p

Latest posts

Back