Went to the Vet Today!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsshaer

Franki
Reaction score
ALRIGHT SO. Finally got Clover to the vet.
(1yr. spayed female; adopted from shelter with no rabbit exp. 4 weeks ago).

I just wanted to share what the vet and nurse had to say and show me, and get some feedback from you all on here. Really happy I got her to the vet, too. So.

'Perfect' teeth--no signs of possibly malocclusion or need of trimming. Small bump on eyelid, keep eye on it. Should go away though. Underweight from poor diet at shelter, will work on having her gain healthy weight. Also need to bring in stool samples since nurse was worried about how thin her pelvic area is.

They taught me how to trim her nails and clean her glands (which were blocked). They encouraged me to hold her more often, and taught me a better way to hold her since she is so trashy when being initially lifted. (Hold the base of the ears gently to assure she doesn't snap her neck, put hand/arm under stomach and chest and inside the limbs so she's straddling them almost, guide face into inner elbow.) Works like a charm! No issues! Also gave me some ideas on what to feed her along with her current diet she's now on to gain some weight. Also recommended I get some saline to rinse her eyes and glands with every so often when needed.

The nurse was really friendly, and she has had rabbits herself, so she was very interested in helping me learn how to take better care of this sweet rescue bunny. Overall they said she looked pretty good and was very well behaved, so I'm very happy to hear that! She was very well behaved, got in her carrier and out of it with no issues, and was very calm during the car rides. That's a load off my mind. Was pretty cheap too! :bunnyheart

Sitting out with her venturing the room now, she didn't seem to stay ticked off about the whole ordeal for TOO long.

ALRIGHT SO. Finally got Clover to the vet.
(1yr. spayed female; adopted from shelter with no rabbit exp. 4 weeks ago).

I just wanted to share what the vet and nurse had to say and show me, and get some feedback from you all on here. Really happy I got her to the vet, too. So.

'Perfect' teeth--no signs of possibly malocclusion or need of trimming. Small bump on eyelid, keep eye on it. Should go away though. Underweight from poor diet at shelter, will work on having her gain healthy weight. Also need to bring in stool samples since nurse was worried about how thin her pelvic area is.

They taught me how to trim her nails and clean her glands (which were blocked). They encouraged me to hold her more often, and taught me a better way to hold her since she is so trashy when being initially lifted. (Hold the base of the ears gently to assure she doesn't snap her neck, put hand/arm under stomach and chest and inside the limbs so she's straddling them almost, guide face into inner elbow.) Works like a charm! No issues! Also gave me some ideas on what to feed her along with her current diet she's now on to gain some weight. Also recommended I get some saline to rinse her eyes and glands with every so often when needed.

The nurse was really friendly, and she has had rabbits herself, so she was very interested in helping me learn how to take better care of this sweet rescue bunny. Overall they said she looked pretty good and was very well behaved, so I'm very happy to hear that! She was very well behaved, got in her carrier and out of it with no issues, and was very calm during the car rides. That's a load off my mind. Was pretty cheap too! :bunnyheart

Sitting out with her venturing the room now, she didn't seem to stay ticked off about the whole ordeal for TOO long.
--happy you adopted a bun and a dvm followup,--however my concern is lifting-,,yes there is a correct way-(chest and bum)--my hope is that I misread the part about the ears,--never lift/pick up a bun by the ears,,--children think ears are handles,but we know better,--glad the exam was a positive experience-,-is the dvm listed in the exotic dvm book-(list of vets-accepted)??--sincerely james waller :welcome1:bouquet::rabbithop

you may have missed "gently" part. :)
Hold the base of the ears gently to assure she doesn't snap her neck, put hand/arm under stomach and chest and inside the limbs so she's straddling them almost, guide face into inner elbow.)

gently holding the BASE of ears as you pick up rabbits (not grabbing and pulling ears) can be an aid in restraining a rabbit unwilling to be picked up. :)

--happy you adopted a bun and a dvm followup,--however my concern is lifting-,,yes there is a correct way-(chest and bum)--my hope is that I misread the part about the ears,--never lift/pick up a bun by the ears,,--children think ears are handles,but we know better,--glad the exam was a positive experience-,-is the dvm listed in the exotic dvm book-(list of vets-accepted)??--sincerely james waller :welcome1:bouquet::rabbithop

Oh no, not lifting by the ears. I should have wrote it better. She taught me to just firmly hold the base of the ears/top of the head to keep her from trashing about so she wouldn't break her neck or back. She is not lifted by them, just held in place while I lift her up from underneath with my other arm/hand supporting her whole body. That's all. c:

Haven't taken pics of her in a while since the camera is out of batteries and my iTouch doesn't take decent pictures anymore. Will hopefully have some more of her soon. <:

Latest posts

Back