Went to a rabbit show today!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double N

Reaction score
Wow! It was really cool!

Saw a bunch of different breeds of buns. Took the husband with me (remember, he's anti-bun).

So the first ones we come across are the French Lops. He looks at them and says, "Oh my gosh, what is THAT? It's HUGE!"

Then we come across a girl who has a Flemish. So I ask her if we could just see him as I would like to show my husband what one looks like. She was so sweet and picked up her rabbit and said, "He's just a JR, too" My husband looks confused and i say, "In other words, he's still growing." He says, "You mean it gets bigger?? Now THAT'S what we need!!"

He kept gravitating back towards the French Lops saying he liked those a lot. Then we talked with a Flemish breeder and the guy started spouting off really bad information. Basically, this guy just had a TON of rabbits that were basically breeding stock and he had no interaction with any of them. So you can imagine the stuff he's saying. Like it doesn't matter if you spay/neuter them, it has nothing to do with their health. It's better to keep them outside in a barn because they smell really bad in your house. And other things like that.

Well, that really turned off hubby. So dang....I was so close, then we had to talk with Jethro and he ruined everything! lol

But....we did come across a Thrianta. I had never heard of them before, but the red color was just so striking. So we started talking to this lady and she was so super nice. She had a sweet little buck for sale and asked if we wanted to hold him. So I just scooped him right up and we probably talked with her for about 15 minutes. I could tell she really wanted us to buy him, but I just won't be pressured into a pet like that, sweet as he was. So I go to hand him back to her and he just burrows down into my arm....it about broke my heart! He burried his face in my elbow...it was adorable.

So...that was my morning! There is another show coming up at the end of the month...maybe I can talk him into going to that one. Some of the people there said that it will be MUCH bigger then the show we went to today.

I can not wait to go to our first show in Dec....

I heard it is a small one, friendly sort of gathering...but still...I am guessing it probably will be the closest one to us...

I am just happy to be going now...

Though with all the stories I hear about everyone comes home with a new bun...lord...maybe I should not go LOL

Glad you had a great time!

I'm so glad you got to go to a show and see all the different breeds. It really is so interesting to see them all - I honestly never cared for mini-rexes at all till I saw Roger's (RalRabbitry)...now I'm in love with them. (I didn't look at Cathy's or I'm sure I would have been hooked).

I don't know anything about the lady with the thrianta - but when I come across someone that I can tell a rabbit likes - I will push a tiny bit more to sell that rabbit to them - largely because I can tell the rabbit likes the person.

And at the next show - give that yucky guy a wide berth and ignore him...

I hope you come home with a rabbit soon!

Maybe preferring larger pets is a guy thing; we're not so into the cute and adorable small animal thing. I wouldn't want a rabbit any smaller than Pancake (4 lbs) because larger rabbits are easier to handle and can't get into as much trouble in small places, though I have very limited experience with other rabbits.

I will say, that Thrianta was just adorable. The color was so amazing. I'd really like to find out more about that breed, but I'm not coming up with much of anything!

Peg, I totally understand what you mean, but she put him in my hands saying, "Now this is the rabbit for you," after we said we were looking for a large rabbit. These guys don't go over 6 pounds...and last time I checked the scale, 6 pounds wasn't large! lol

But he was a sweet little guy, though!

Double N wrote:
I will say, that Thrianta was just adorable. The color was so amazing. I'd really like to find out more about that breed, but I'm not coming up with much of anything!

Peg, I totally understand what you mean, but she put him in my hands saying, "Now this is the rabbit for you," after we said we were looking for a large rabbit. These guys don't go over 6 pounds...and last time I checked the scale, 6 pounds wasn't large! lol

But he was a sweet little guy, though!
Gotcha - I see what you mean.

I can hardly wait to see what you get.

Its too bad that the guy with the flemish wasn't any help, hopefully, you will run into another one who will be more helpful. Too bad I wasn't at that show I would have listed nothing but the positives about flemmies.

Good Luck!

Dave

Well, Dave....there is a show at the end of the month in Zainesville....if you feel like a road trip, let me know!!

:)

Latest posts

Back