Well, I've acquired another bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
A while back I posted asking for information on velveteen lops because a "close" friend of mine was interested in getting into them and breeding. Here is that thread:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=37338&forum_id=8

Well, despite all of my best efforts, my friend decided to go forward with getting her first pair. She got them both from a reputable breeder in the Ohio area, but she had no business doing it in the first place and I told her so.

She got a black doe and a tort buck. Despite attempting to get her bred, the doe did not become pregnant. So she got another doe (already bred)and yesterday that doe gave birth to 7 kits with 2 kits not making it through the night and another kit in danger of passing.

I can't even get through this story without getting so angry and actually crying...

When she knew that her doe was bred she came to me and asked me if I'd be willing to take in velveteen lop doe she first bought to breed with. I initially said no. She asked again and I said no again. I wasn't impressed with the breed and I didn't agree with what she was doing. Well, yesterday she told me that her doe kindled and that she now had to get rid of Margot (the initial doe) because she needed the space and didn't want to have an additional mouth to feed. She told me she was just going to place an ad on Craigslist for a free bunny and it was then that I said I'd take her. So, I'm now the proud owner of a black velveteen lop doe named Margot.

I don't have any pictures of her yet, but I'll try to get some at some point today. She's beautiful and very sweet, but I'm just angry and frustrated over the situation. I didn't want to take the bunny because I thought it would just encourage my "friend" to continue doing what she's doing. But I couldn't not take her in knowing that she may fall into the wrong hands. You know?

So, please welcome Margot the velveteen lop (pictures to be posted later - hopefully).

you did the right thing. hopefully your friend has what she wants now and won't get any more/try to get ride of any more via craigslist.

i can't wait to see pics!

While the story isn't the most ideal, it sounds as though you've taken in a wonderfully sweet girl. I can't wait to see photos of her! :hearts:

Jenk

Latest posts

Back