Well, I may be getting a "new" dog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I'm not suprised at this at all, and have actually been "expecting" Pete ever since I found out my SIL was pregnant.

My niece was born on April 26th and she did well at first but several complications landed her in the hospital for 3 weeks.

Anyhow, Stephanie had two dogs when I first met her, Cocoa and Pete. Cocoa is a chocolate lab mix, Pete - who knows, a dane mix, maybe. His adoption papers from when he was a pup in a Texas shelter said Dane/Greyhound. His a thin tall black dog.

When Stephanie's parents go on trips they always took A.J, their 14 year old dog. He aged to 17 years old in time and lived a full life. After her parents lost A.J. they began borrowing Cocoa from Stephanie and Jason. Within a year and a half after losing A.J, Cocoa was so much of a replacement they asked to keep her.

Now, Jason and Stephanie are married. They live in a nice house with practically NO back yard. Once Susanna was born, Pete and his "sensitive stomach issues" really became an issue. Unnerved at ALL, this dog gets the runs - bad.

Naturally, as things progress with some... new baby, dog potty issues - Pete became an "outside" dog.

I was at Mom and Dads today. Jason, Stephanie & Susanna (plus Megan, Stephanie's sister from Virginia and her son Austin) and I were all there.

I spoke of the fence I'm having put up for my yard and IMO - Stephanie really put me on the spot asking if I'd get a 3rd dog once the yard is fenced. I said I planned on it and she said "great! You can have Pete".

I'm pretty quiet when family is together and everyone chimed in on how great it would be, with my huge back yard - the way I love animals, how Pete is big and I need a big dog....

Well, Pete is fine, a nice enough dog - I'm not stupid, I really saw this coming... but I don't know. Everyone made the decision for me today that I'll be taking him in just as soon as I have my fence up.

I say I don't know, but I DO. Pete will be coming to live with me. It's fine I suppose but sheesh - if I had been niave and clueless I'd be pretty upset that the decision was "made" for me today. But, I guess since I work with animals and I know my family - and how often people rehome animals due to a "new baby" I really saw this coming a mile away.

I guess I'll have to call this week so I can push the fence people to get here because everyone is so thrilled about "MY" decision to take Pete in.

The only thing that'll tick me off is if they change their minds, especially since I saw ths eventuality coming so long ago...

Well... congrats..I guess..lol

My stepdaughter decided that since I have a huge fenced in yard, I need to have her Hurricane Rita rescue dog.. and everyone readily agreed, and apparently made all sort of suggestions on how to do her set up.

When did I learn of this plan? When I came home and found Sadie in my yard.

I feel ya Leaf..

Wow. I am definitely with you, and I can say I wouldn't know whether or not to speak up and say something or just let it go because you knew it was coming. I would be hesitant because maybe if I did say something someone may think I was subtlyhinting that I didn't want him...Sticky situation!

Pete sounds like a sweet boy, I'm glad he has a loving home to go to with you!

Congratulations...I think. While I'm sure Pete will have a much more "charmed" life with you, I can understand your frustration about the whole situation. It's never fun to have a decision forced upon you. And I definitely feel ya on that.

Hopefully Pete will fit in well and become the best friend you never knew he could be. I'm sure he'll be grateful for you and for your care. Good luck with the fence and Pete.

Wow I would of been kind of upset as well, them making the decision for you. Not to be rude, but what if you didn't want Pete? What if he wasn't the type of dog for you? I probably would of been like, "Well, thanks for the offer, but I'll have to think on that. I was looking for another dog." But then again, I might of ended up taking PEte anyhow, since I love mostly all dogs, hehe.

Emily

*sigh* Well good for Pete anyway! Any idea how he'll be with the smaller animals?

BTW what happened with your abandoned mama dog and her babies? Do they all have homes now? I just want wrinkly dog-face pictures.:D

I'm so attached to my sister's dogs (she has 2 Basset Hounds that are 8 year oldsisters) that we have taken care of since they were babies; that I couldn't imagine NOT taking them if I was put in your situation.I'd be angry if she even considered giving them to someoneoutside the family, and thenI think I'd probably be upset that itcould seem so easy for my sister to turn loose of her dogs like that period... even if she was giving them to me. My sister has always been good to "the girls", but it doesn't seem that she really gets pleasure out of having them. She never walks them, or plays with them. I don't know, maybe it's just me and I actually enjoy spending time withour dogs.

Your sister obviously cares about the dog and has considered giving him the best ever possible home...with someone she trusts completely....You! ;)

I understand your mixed emotion, but I think you should feel honored as well. Congratulations!!! :p

my family is really bad about getting pets(all sorts) and then getting tired of them and dropping them off at my house... I finally had to put my foot down...I hated doing that but my house was getting over crowded

Leaf wrote:
Anyhow, Stephanie had two dogs when I first met her, Cocoa and Pete. Cocoa is a chocolate lab mix, Pete - who knows, a dane mix, maybe. ******His adoption papers from when he was a pup in a Texas shelter said Dane/Greyhound.*** His a thin tall black dog.

When Stephanie's parents go on trips they always took A.J, their 14 year old dog. He aged to 17 years old in time and lived a full life. After her parents lost A.J. they began borrowing Cocoa from Stephanie and Jason. Within a year and a half after losing A.J, Cocoa was so much of a replacement they asked to keep her.

Now, Jason and Stephanie are married. They live in a nice house with practically NO back yard. Once Susanna was born, Pete and his "sensitive stomach issues" really became an issue. Unnerved at ALL, this dog gets the runs - bad.

Naturally, as things progress with some... new baby, dog potty issues - Pete became an "outside" dog.

I was at Mom and Dads today. Jason,  Stephanie & Susanna (plus Megan, Stephanie's sister from Virginia and her son Austin) and I were all there.

I spoke of the fence I'm having put up for my yard and IMO - Stephanie really put me on the spot asking if I'd get a 3rd dog once the yard is fenced. I said I planned on it and she said ******"great! You can have Pete"***.

As he is a shelter dog - does that not mean he must go back to the shelter and cant be passed onto a second party/sold? or does it not state that in the contract?

Anyways - if it were me I would be quite angry that they made the decision for me :?

Although it's not the best of situations to be placed in, I'm glad you have a loving heart and are willing to bring him into your home. Do you have any photos of him?

naturestee wrote:
*sigh* Well good for Pete anyway! Any idea how he'll be with the smaller animals?

BTW what happened with your abandoned mama dog and her babies? Do they all have homes now? I just want wrinkly dog-face pictures.:D

Stephanie said a little Doxie got into their yard once and Pete was very hyper at first but he ended up settling down enough that they could play together until the owners (from a few houses down) tracked their dog down.

I had a hard time with the Mom and her puppies, getting rescue backing but as it usually goes with one certian rescue - once they decided the pups were purebred they agreed to take them all. It's good in the end but I hate the stipulation that they only take in the purebreeds. But still they do a good service.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
As he is a shelter dog - does that not mean he must go back to the shelter and cant be passed onto a second party/sold? or does it not state that in the contract?

Anyways - if it were me I would be quite angry that they made the decision for me :?

It really depends on what the adoption contract states. I haven't seen the paperwork but knowing the way Stephanie is, I'm sure she has it all.

If the shelter he came on absolutely insists on reclaiming an 8 year old big black dog that is prone to bloat and has cronic colitis- they'd be welcome to come to Missouri to reclaim him but I honestly don't think it will be an issue with his age and medical needs.

Leaf wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:

It really depends on what the adoption contract states. I haven't seen the paperwork but knowing the way Stephanie is, I'm sure she has it all.

If the shelter he came on absolutely insists on reclaiming an 8 year old big black dog that is prone to bloat and has cronic colitis - they'd be welcome to come to Missouri to reclaim him but I honestly don't think it will be an issue with his age and medical needs.

True True.
He looks more black lab/grey to me?
A friend had a black lab that looked more or less exactly like him except he is a little bit thinner.

Latest posts

Back