Welcome home Winston!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mubunny

Reaction score
Well Winston unexpectedly came home today. I'm so happy :bunnydance:. I fell in love with him the second he inched out of his box into his new home. He is a very shy guy and when I came in to give him his food and drop off a few times he would go stiff as a board as soon as he saw me.
I have a thread about bonding him with a friend but what about bonding with me?
Since he's so shy should I just go sit there quiet and watch him or will he think I'm trying to eat him? Is there such a thing as watching him too long? Should my boyfriend be there with me since I want them to be friends too?
How long should I wait until I let him out? How long should I wait to pet him?
I gave him a few pets in the shelter when I met him and he didn't run away he just kind of backed into himself. He didn't nibble or run when he smelt me.
I'm sorry for all the threads and stuff I'm just so excited and want to be the best owner for these boys and to be thought of as a friend by them.

Oh and I have looked up most of these things on the internet but I want to double, triple, quadruple check it all. And I want to taper things to how he behaves... can't think of a better way then asking more experience owners. Sorry again.

Winston sounds just like my Coal :)

When I rescued Coal, he stayed in his carried for about 48 hours before venturing out into his pen. I had to put food and water in the carrier for him so he wouldn't starve.

Then, once he came out of his carried he would fright at the tiniest little movement! He did the same thing with backing into himself when petted. I could tell everything scared him.

Once I had him neutered, I had him bonded to a girlfriend named Ruby. Being with her made him feel a bit better because if she wasn't afraid, then he didn't have to be so wary.

I would advise to just sit and read a book with him. Be around him and let him see that when you are around bad stuff does not happen. If he is brave enough to approach and sniff you, just let him sniff don't reach out for him right away. After he shows a bit of confidence approaching you, can try gently holding out your hand and see if it scares him. Then some very gentle nose rubs.

He may also be better with a body or a face than hands. Hands might scare him, but a face might be less scary for him.

Coal did come around, but it took about 3 years for him to start begging and requesting nose rubs instead of sulking in the back of the cage. It just melts my heart every time I see him begging now. One of the best feelings in the world is witnessing a bunny come out of his shell, no matter how long it takes for you to get there!

He may warm up quickly, or he may take years like my Coal. Just have lots and lots of patience with him, and he will warm up when he is ready.

Funnily enough, at my old place we painted one wall in the living room green, and his cage was right against that wall. After the wall was painted, he was much calmer and a little bit more confident. I don't know if it is a coincident or not, but I thought I would share that the colour green seemed to help Coal feel a bit more confident.

-Dawn

Maybe I'll use green towels for his floor. I know they can tell green and blue apart so maybe it reminds them of the wild somewhere in their animal instincts.
I am trying to be seen as the bringer of treats and toys. When I roll around his ball or crinkle his bag he seems to perk up and be interested. Sometimes come over and sniff it. Are we playing or is he just grumpy I'm touching his stuff?

You are playing :)
If you have an empty laundry detergent container, take off the lid, and wash it out. My bunnies love to pick those up and throw them.
Another great thing is the bottom of a washed out paper coffee cup. Cut the cup in half, and he'll move it around :)

If he's grumpy, he'll likely stomp/thump at you, grunt, flatten his ears back, or turn his butt to you. I can tell how stressed/upset my rabbits are by the movement in their ears: when happy, I can wiggle their ears in all directions. When upset, the ears feel stiffer, less flexible :)

Welcome home, Winston!

Would a cap from a shaving cream bottle work? He has floppy ears and I haven't seen them move yet. I think he might stomp sometimes when he's in his box but I can't tell because I left the bottom flaps in so he could dig at them and he could just be pushing them around. I have only got one grumpy grunt so far along with some little bunny paws pushing me away.

Sure! Just wash it out really well :)

Love the little pushy paws :D He's so sweet. I hope you get a disposable camera or something and get some great pics of his first few days home!:bunnydance:

Here is a great Lagomorph Library Link: Toys!

Latest posts

Back