Welcome Aboard SunnieBunnie!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
Hello SunnieBunnie!I've read a few of your posts and it seems pretty clearthatyou will join the "bunny guru's" as I affectionately refer to the moreknowledgeable part of this clan! I hope you enjoy the forum as much asI do. I've found some wonderful friends here that extend far beyond thebunnyworld.

Watch out for the crazies. I won't mention any names,ittends to stir them up and start them plotting bunnynappingsand such. They act peculiar sometimes.If youhave
anextraordinarily cute bun, consider keeping that info under yourhat!

RaspberrySwirl

Copy that Raspberry Swirl!!

Sure hope that SunnieBunnie is a regular as well. We are nuts, but we're harmless and happy. :)

So happy to have you here. Really hope you enjoy it.

Warmest Welcome!

-Carolyn

Yes, and do watch for those bunnynappers. Raspberryswirl knows, as her's is one of the most sought after cute rabbits here.

It's always good to have another bunnologist around. :)

SunnieBunnie,

I'm a pet owner.

Would you sell a rabbit to me???

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
SunnieBunnie,

I'm a pet owner.

Would you sell a rabbit to me???

-Carolyn

You know, I really don't know how to take this...

It feels like it's a direct insult, and I'm sorry if I did or said anything to cause such an uproar.

I haveNEVER contradicted myself nor have I EVER been atwo-face. Everything I have learned has been through a WIDEvariety of sources and I deeply respect and appreciate every single oneof them.

I just don't understand, I joined this group because it was refered bya mutual dear friend... and after a day of browsing, I decided to joinbecause I felt that this was a friendly, social group that I couldenjoy. When I noticed that the majority of the members arefairly new to rabbits, I thought, "Hey, maybe I could help out some andgive my experiences."

Never did I come in and post that my way was the right way... oranything like that... that's not the kind of person I am. Ionly posted what has worked for me and given advice when it wasasked.

I don't get it, can someone please explain?

I really didn't feel like getting into the middleof this, but a post was found from another rabbit forum where breederswere talking about how they would not sell to pet owners. You said thatyou would rather your rabbits become food than go to pet owners.Naturally, pet owners become a little miffed when you say things likethat...

*edit* Just saw your other post. Glad to see everybody worked thingsout. Personally, I thank you for your part in not contributing to thepet overpopulation problem. :)

No problem :D I guess, I can understand wherepeople are coming from. It's like you're not even giving the reallygood and responsible owners a chance to own a well-bred rabbit.Buuuuuut.....working at a shelter, I'd really appreciate it if morepeople started adopting homeless bunnies rather than automaticallygoing for the purebreds. It's a tricky issue. :?

m.e. wrote:
Noproblem :D I guess, I can understand where people are coming from. It'slike you're not even giving the really good and responsible owners achance to own a well-bred rabbit. Buuuuuut.....working at a shelter,I'd really appreciate it if more people started adopting homelessbunnies rather than automatically going for the purebreds. It's atricky issue. :?
I understand too. I do get lots of calls andemailsregularly for people looking for a rabbit as a pet -when I do get those calls, I do refer them to the shelter... afterall,there are some really good pointsif they go tothe shelter to adopt:

1) For the price of one purebred rabbit from some breeders - you couldadopt, have it spayed/neutered, and still have enough left over to gocage/toy/supply shopping for it.

2) The homeless rabbit at the shelter gets a good, loving home... that it's probably been looking for all it's life.

Taking the chances of going out on a limb.... I'd like to see if thereis a difference in the shelter rabbitpopulation if the petstores didn't sell rabbits... instead referred them TO theshelter. I know it will put a big hole in the pockets of thepet stores (especially around the two months prior andaftereaster)... but if you stop and think about how thosenumbers would be reduced.... It's amazing.

Yeah, totally. Easter bunnies :X I really wishpet stores wouldn't sell dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, ferrets, or anyother long-term, high care pet. It's just not right...

AnnaS wrote:
I am so lost, why would not they sell rabbits to pet owners?

I will also be upfront in the fact that I do not cater to the petmarket. (However, I do sell an occasional pet to someone who isreferred to me).

When we started out, we advertised and sold many pet rabbits (as new breeders often do).

What changed and why did I become disillusioned with the petmarket? Very simply put -- the horror of finding out whathappened toa large percentage of those beautiful bunnies wesold and how many of themsuffered lingering deaths fromneglect -- starvation, freezing to death, mauled by the dog, set free,broken bones, dehydration, heat stoke . . . I could go on and on.

This does not mean all pet owners are neglectful just as not all breeders care for their herds well.

I do want people to realize, however, that the rabbit societies do*not* inflate the numbers of abandoned animals. As you wouldimagine,the novelty of thenew Easter bunny wearsoff quickly. There are also large numbers of bunnies sold atfairs in the late summer,and you'll find the number ofunwanted rabbits increases significantly at this time also.

I promote *responsible* breeding and *responsible* care whether by pet owners or by breeders.

Pam

That all makes good sense Pamnock. I purchased myFlemish from a fair in the summer and on the last day when you couldpick them up I saw numerous other buns going to new homes and I didhave to wonder how many of them would be in lasting homes. I am happythat the breeder sold me a Flemish but I did talk to her about myknowledge of buns etc.

Fergi's mom

pamnock wrote:
What changed and why did I become disillusioned with the petmarket? Very simply put -- the horror of finding out whathappened toa large percentage of those beautiful bunnies wesold and how many of themsuffered lingering deaths fromneglect -- starvation, freezing to death, mauled by the dog, set free,broken bones, dehydration, heat stoke . . . I could go on and on.

Oh, mercy, Pam ... OH, MERCY ... :shock:. Oh, I feellightheaded again. I get your point. I really seeit. Thanks for sharing this with us. When I thinkabout it I actually have some HORRIBLE stories to tell that I knowabout firsthand.

Although I don't think that one should just broadly assume that all petowners are potentially irresponsible (which I'm certainly not implyingthat you do), I certainly see your point.

In fact, thank you, Pam, for being a responsible enough breeder to care about the future of bunnies born in your care.

But is not that the same with cats and dogs too? Or with bunnies its worser?

At the humane society I saw so many old abandoned cats and usuallypeople want to adopt little kittens. I actually have no idea, but is ittrue that older bunnies adjust to new owners better than cats and dogs?

I like Pam'sattitude. I'm not able to quote statistics, but I am a lifelong animallover and multiple petowner as well as an avid reader. I knowfor a fact that this problem crosses over to nearly all animals. Thenwhen you get into each animal, it multiplies into different breeds bypopularity as well. If a movie comes out that has an animal in it,within a very short time that animal will be over bred, in bred,abused, abandoned, it's lines and good reputation ruined by a few badstories that made it to national television....Examples...Dalmatianswhen 101 Dalmatians was re-released, clown fish (?) when Finding Nemocame out, Jack Russel Terriers when Frasier was so popular...the listgoes on and on. Responsible pet ownership andbreeding is a problem across the board.

Raspberry

In a perfect world: Pet owners would be like all of us, and breeders would be like the ones we have here.

I'd like to see statistics on rabbitries as there are for pet owners, only there are no restrictions on breeding.

Anyone can become a breeder and no one will make them follow any guidelines to insure the rabbits are treated in a humane way.

Sorry, but the scales are not balanced in these statistics as one sideis completely not investigated. Perhaps if it was, we'd put a biggerdent in the issue of what happens in the end for the animals.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
In a perfect world: Pet owners would be like all of us, and breeders would be like the ones we have here.

Well said Carolyn, sadly, the ones who need support, help and advice the most are the ones whoare not here :(:(

Pam

Latest posts

Back