Weird skin on nose?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAndMaple

Reaction score
Hi, so this is probably me being ridiculous and paranoid - but please bare in mind that it's only been 6 weeks since Maple passed away unexpectedly, and Bluebell is due to be spayed in less than two weeks, so rabbit-related stress levels are high 🙈

I found this weird patch of white skin on Ash's nose this morning - it looks like the tiniest little grains of rice and I've never seen flystrike so automatically that's where my brain has gone 🤦🏼‍♀️ but he has had a couple of flakes of old-scab-looking skin come off around his nose and I did wonder if maybe he's caught it with a toenail at some point, so maybe it's just dry/damaged skin? I do treat him with Xeno450 once a month as a preventative anyway.

So, I'm probably being daft because I'm stressed about Bluebell, but does anyone have thoughts about what this looks like? It was really hard to get a photo so I know it's not very clear 🙈

Attachments

• PXL_20230921_213754759.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230921_213754759.MP.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
To me, that doesn't look like fly eggs. He may have just got something stuck in his fur. I would clean it off. If you have to use water, make sure to dry it off as much as possible. Then if it returns and/or worsens, probably best to have your vet take a look at it.

But if you suspect it actually is fly eggs, contact your vet immediately as flystrike is a potential emergency, and they may want you to bring your bun in.

This is what fly eggs in the fur looks like. If in doubt contact your vet.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/flystrike-in-rabbits/

To me, that doesn't look like fly eggs. He may have just got something stuck in his fur. I would clean it off. If you have to use water, make sure to dry it off as much as possible. Then if it returns and/or worsens, probably best to have your vet take a look at it.

But if you suspect it actually is fly eggs, contact your vet immediately as flystrike is a potential emergency, and they may want you to bring your bun in.

This is what fly eggs in the fur looks like. If in doubt contact your vet.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/flystrike-in-rabbits/
Thank you for the information! It won't clean off and it seems attached, so I think it must be a bit of dry skin. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it'll heal soon.

Looks like a scab from an insect bite to me. Their nose is pretty vulnarable to those.
Hmm... 🤔 They are indoor bunnies, but there are always little flies and spiders flying/wandering about 🕷️ and I'm a dog groomer so I'm always worried about fleas 🙈

Back