Weird behavior! (Kinda long...)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaB

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I own two rabbits, one is 4 and a half months old, and the other is three months old..separated in NIC cages until I get them fixed, but in the same room. Well, the younger one, Riley, has absolutely no problem going from his room, which is carpeted, into the hallway, which is wood floors, and galavanting throughout the whole house. The older one, Lily, WILL NOT leave the carpeted floor. I leave her cage door open all day, and she won't step off the carpet, except in the rabbit room to jump into her sandbox which she has no problem with. My boyfriend and I thought she was afraid of going through the door, not sure why, but anything's possible. I really want her to be able to wander the rabbit proofed house, but the entire house is hardwood except for the area rug in the rabbit room. My boyfriend had the bright idea of letting her jump onto a towel and then dragging her into the hallway and taking the towel away. When she got on the hardwood she was leaning against the wall trying to walk. The funny think is, she used to be in our bedroom until we got the second rabbit and she had absolutely no problem walking under the bed, which is the same hardwood. She practically had a breakdown when she got in the hallway and was scrambling around like she couldn't walk. We've tried to coax her out into the hallway with papaya tablets, which she adores, but no luck. The baby has absolutely no problem with the floors, and running and binkying around. Lily is a much more shy rabbit by nature and it's taken us a while to get her to trust us, but does anyone have any advice about getting her out of the room on her own accord? Other than carpeting the entire house? She also does not like being picked up sometimes, which is fine, but getting her OFF the carpet is a pretty big deal!!

Thank You everyone and Happy Holidays!

Hmmm... My Muffin was like that at first, but we took her to another room so that she HAD to cross the wood floor in order to get back to her cage, which broke her of the fear. It seems, however, that you've tried to do that already without luck. How are her nails? Might they be a bit long?

Can you put down runners. ? She is clearly not comfortable. As tonyshuman said it may be her nails are too long

I don't think that this is unusual and have actually heard of other buns being uncomfortable on hardwood
She does not feel confident without a lot oftraction under her.

Many buns do well on hardwood floors; other don't
I really woud not force her if she is uncomfortable but try to provide runners etc

Latest posts

Back