Weepy eyed bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flange

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here.

I have a dwarf lop and he seems to be sufferingwithaweepy eye. He has been to the vets and had eye drops butunfortunately the weepy eye didnt clear up. :(

Does any one have any ideas to what may be causing this, and a possible solution?

Thanks in advance,

Flange. :bunnydance:

Welcome to the forum!

Is only one eye being infected? Also, what eye drops wereused and did the vet do a culture to determine what, if any bacteriawas causing this? If a culture wasn't done, it might be thatthe eye drops weren't the right kind of antibiotic for the bacteria.

It's also possible the tear ducts are clogged. This happensto my Loki, and also in only one eye. His is caused byallergies to dust, although this can also be caused byinfections. Your vet can flush the tear ducts with saline toget the gunk out. After that he'll probably need more eyedrops or an eye ointment to clear up any infection. I'd alsorecommend getting xrays done because this can be caused by overgrowntooth roots that are pressing against the eyes.

I'd also like to add that entropian is not uncommon in lop breeds, so be certain to have the vet carefully examine the cornea.

Pam

Thanks for the advice .

It is only the one eye that has been infected , Cant remember what thename of the eye drops were called but humans can use them aswell .

I have brought the rabbit indoors for a few days to see ifthehutch is the source of the problem, asits rotting away withthe weather (untilI can get a new one).theeyedoesnt seem to bother himthough.:?

I have had the same problem with my guineapig. But both eyes were weepy. I have been giveneye drops that are ment for humans also!

The vet said use it for a week. They have been looking alotbeter than they were, but havent totally cleared up. And aweek is up.

Im not sure if I should take him back to vets, or carry on using the eye drops for another week?

Linz_1987 wrote:
I have had the same problem with my guinea pig.But both eyes were weepy. I have been given eye drops thatare ment for humans also!

The vet said use it for a week. They have been looking alotbeter than they were, but havent totally cleared up. And aweek is up.

Im not sure if I should take him back to vets, or carry on using the eye drops for another week?
You could telephone your Vet and ask :D

Janex

Perhaps you ought to go back to the Vet to seeif a different treatment or more investigations areneeded:?Particularly relating to a possible dental problem.Dwarf Lops are prone to dental problems due to the conformation oftheir jaw/skull.

Janex

Latest posts

Back