Weepy Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IM4Swine

Reaction score
One of my rabbits has a slight case of weepy eye. Is there any way to fix this?Right now it is just some moisture around her eye. Will it getworse?Can my other rabbits catch it?

It is possible she just has something irritating her eye or tear duct. My dutch boy Loki gets a weepy eye if his pellets or hay are too dusty, and it sometimes requires a vet visit to have the tear duct flushed. Then he's fine.

So try to remove any sources of irritation- sift the pellets, if you feed hay shake it out away from her. What are you using ford is infection? Fumes from bleach might be irritating the eye.I know a lot of breeders recommend Vanodine. And do clean/sterilize more often and take care of this rabbit last so you're less likely to transfer any infection to the other rabbits.

I hope it's just a bit of dust! If it does continue and you can't find a source, she'll need a vet visit to determine if she has an infection and to get meds.

She and two litter mates each had an eye stuck shut for a week or more after the other eyes opened.

Could it be an infection? I would get her to see a vet to see if she needs some eye drops. Or it could be a tooth problem..

There are many causes of weepy eye, so it's best to have it checked out by the vet. Malocclusion can sometimes be a cause as well as congenital deformities of the eyelid that cause irritation to the cornea (entropian). As mentioned in an earlier post, blocked tear ducts are another cause as well as bacterial or viral infections.

If the cause is viral or bacterial, it can be spread to other rabbits.

The condition can worsen, depending on the cause. Continual moisture from the eye can cause inflammation and hair loss around the eye.

Pam

Hi,

Here's the link to our Heath Library section on Runny Eyes...
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12017&forum_id=10

I have one bun that has recurring weepy eye(s). He's very sensitive to dust of any kind. Once the eye gets irritated it produced too many tears for the tear ducts to handle. Sometimes if I flush it with saline it will clear up in a day or two....other times it takes over a week for it to clear. He gets daily saline flushes and warm compresses when needed.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back