Weaning?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MousQwene

Reaction score
Our babies are just over 2 weeks old and have been nibbling on hay for a bit. Today, however, they were out and about in Mom's cage and found her food bowl. Is it ok to let them nibble on her pellets at this young age? And when/how do I put them on pellets and hay solely?

they will wean over themselves as they feel ready to eat they will keep feeding from mum for a while yet but they will start to eat and drink water as well. I alwasy put a very low down water bottle for them in case they want a drink :)

Yep it's definitley ok for them to nibble on the pellets this young. :) They will eat the pellets and drink milk, too. As well as nibble on hay.

You should begin weaning them at 6 weeks of age. You'll have to take them away from their mom and put them in seperate cages (girls together, boys together). When you do this, give them pellets and hay to eat. They can nurse from their mom once a day. I just put the babies in with momma during the morning feeding, and she will nurse them. Then I put them back in her cage. I let them have milk every other day, slowly panning it out from every other day, to every two days, etc.

Emily

The doe will usually wean them herself. By 6 weeks, our Mini Rex babies are not getting anything from momma. So we separate them from mom. My Flemish wean themselves around 8 weeks. I don't think it's good for the Doe to nurse them longer than that, unless there are extenuating circumstances. (If she is even producing milk at that point.)

It's good for them to be exploring and trying new things. Give them plenty of hay to nibble on. You can also mix in a few teaspoons of oatmeal with their pellets. The oatmeal is easy on their stomach and easy to chew. (Try not to let mom scoff it all up!)

Back