Weaning and Condition Loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nes

Reaction score
Please bear with me while I try to explain my situation. My sister mini rex's are living outside with their combined 7 (3 to one & 4 to the other - one sold) 2 month old kits. Recently I noticed (yesterday) I noticed my girls have lost ALOT of condition. Normally they fluctuate up and down quite a bit as they are my first rabbits & I'm figuring out their feeding; but right now they look down-right skinny. However - the kits look fine! so I've sneaking suspecions that the kits are still nursing when I thought they'd been weaned off.

Now I know in other species sometimes maiden moms will not wean until they are pregnant again (just don't konw when to let go :) ). One of the moms has had another set of kits but they died shortly after birth*. Will the moms do this? continue to feed until they get pregnant again?

*This is the second time my girl(s) have ended up pregnant "accidentally" - it's a long story involving an ex-room mate with male rabbits; basically lacy's first set of kits were killed by my cats because we didn't even know she was pregnant :( It was very very sad.

The girls are on a diet of grasses, weeds, hay & pellets - all of which they consume ravenously. They are building a tunnel in their pen so they are very very active right now, but I can easily feel their ribs and they feel too light when I pick them up.

They are being kept in a chicken wire enclosure with no bottom, the diggin isn't worrying us as they are very domestic and we're not worried they are going to roam. At any rate they've been in the backyard for 2 weeks and havn't tunneled out yet :) The moms will be comming out of there as soon as I move back home (in another 2 weeks) I can take them out right now if their health continues to deteriorate but it would be a huge PITA for me to get back and forth to feed them every day right now were as currently I get to spend most of the day with my babies.

Anyway I hope that all made sense. and thanks for any help you guys can offer! :)

Nes.

I think this is a question for the breeders, so I'll move it to the Rabbitry forum.

(And sorry things are so slow around here at the moment!)

sas

Although the milk supply begins to decrease at day 21, kits may indeed nurse well beyond the 6-8 week period when we would normally wean them.  (In the wild, the doe would actually wean them much earlier when her new litter is born and the previous litter wander from the nest).

It's hard to speculate why the litter is losing condition. Are they receiving an adequate amount of pellets?  Parasites may play a role as well as viruses during the recent weather changes.

Pam

I'm giving the rabbits as many pellets as they will eat (so around 3-4 big handfuls) plus they are getting a bucketfull of weeds and grasses everday.

What could I feed them to fatten them up a bit? But in a healthy way? :)

The strange thing is that it is only the moms that have lost any condition - the kits are all healthy, happy & FAT!

Nes. 

Sorry -- I had skimmed through the post and thought the kits were thin.  I would wean the kits ASAP and not rebreed the does until they have regained their condition and are free from any health problems.

Pam

Nes wrote:
...I've sneaking suspecions that the kits are still nursing when I thought they'd been weaned off...

Kits will continue to nurse as long as they're with their mom.  This is my main reason for weaning as early as possible (6-8 wks).

On the rare occasion that I have to leave a kit in with mom longer than necessary, I have witnessed the doe nursing the babies for up to 4 1/2 months of age!  I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy or that I'm seeing things... so I took a few pictures of one instance last year:

DCP_0439.jpg

DCP_0440.jpg

DCP_0441.jpg

If your doe's are under condition... even if it is a PITA, I'd separate them.

JMO,

~Sunshine

:scared: WOW!!

Well good news, I did move the moms off last night so they've gone back home and I'm writing off the walk back and forth as good exercise :D.

I'm planning on keeping one of their babies - this is probably a silly question but I guess I need to ask anyway - is there any worry of the mom's being able to nurse again after they dry up?

Nes.

the mom will get milk in every time she has a litter (or at least she is suppose to).

so, you rabbits are on the ground correct? if your does don't get condition back, i would think that possibly worming them couldn't hurt. and pam is right, get the kits off the mom, and get her back to a healthy condition. don't just get her "plump" as that will cause her to just become unhealthy, but with the kits away, she should put on healthy weight in no time.

katt

Latest posts

Back