Weaned baby still looking for milk?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itoshiixhito

Reaction score
I had Maaya and Ryuu out on the living room couch earlier (neutral territory), and while Maaya was trying to engage in some dominant mounting behavior to show she's the alpha bun, Ryuu kept trying to shove her nose under Maaya's tummy. It looked a lot like she was searching for milk.

Ryuu has a very healthy appetite (downs all the pellets, hay, and water I give her), so obviously she's weaned.

The place I bought her from told me she was 8 weeks old. Do you she might be younger? Is looking for food from Maaya
normal behavior?

I got her from a petstore, but it's a mom&pop one, not a chain store. And they get their buns from a local breeder.

They told me she'd only been at the store about a week, so maybe she's missing her mama
:(

When i first put Midas and Sasha together (Sasha is 3 years old Midas is 2) Sasha did this exact thing to Midas. I thought she was trying to bite his private parts but I was told its a way of getting attention. Midas was ignoring Sasha and wouldnt return any of her flirting (she tried grooming him and humping him) and he just sat there. So she started sticking her head under his stomach. She just wanted Midas to notice her. Maybe its the same type of behavior.

Is maaya fixed? I would not put two rabbits together unless at least one of them is spayed/neutered. They may get along for now, but when Ryuu reaches sexual maturity things could get ugly.

Nuu, Maaya's not fixed yet. I should hopefully have the money by the end of this week so I can go make her appointment.

I guess Ryuu wanted to cuddle, but Maaya just wanted to show her who's alpha bun XD

Pushing a head under a tummy is very common behavior in the early stages of bonding. It's usually a grooming request and sometimes results in nips to the stomach.

Latest posts

Back