We have decided...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
I know that a lot of you may think it is wrong but we have thought it through and worked it out.

We have decided well it was dads idea to breed Dippy and Fluffball. We will proberly do it when the new bun has settled in.

:)

no no no it is ok, i just realized it was the rabbitry and show room and i try to stay out because of things i feel, but i usually just pull up new posts and didnt realize what area it was in, i appologize. And i do wish the best to the both of them.

becca the reason no one moaned at DublinPerkys thread is because she is part of a 4H programme which is american and designed to teach people about animals and breeding them is part of it. they do it for other things to.

We don't have 4H in the UK and while it could well be a good idea, breeding for breedings sake with no reason behind it other than getting babies is not really a very good idea. If your parents are that keen on rabbits and breeding them then perhaps you should all contact the BRC (which you can do through the website) and do it as a hobby where you breed and show to improve a breed and have the fun of making friends through the rabbit fancy. WHy not go along to a show with your parents and see if they want to be involved they and you may well find showing rabbits a lot of fun and maybe you could go onto breeding them from there if that is what you all want to do.

also just want to check because I know you got them at the same time but are dippy and fluffball not brother and sister if they are then please do not breed them no one would breed siblings together you risk a lot of genetic problems.

No they are not brother and sister - Dippy is older.

And I'm not breeding for no reason - thats like saying a couple is having a baby for no reason if they are not doing it to improve the child....

couples can choose for themselves rabbits dont its your decision.If you have a specific reason for mating your rabbits then put them down and peoplewill understand why you want to mate them. its easier than you getting defensive if you have good reason for what you are doing. (not trying to be nasty)

I still think you should consider as a family going to a show you obviously love your rabbits it would be a good hobby for your whole family:)most shows run pet classes and you would be able to put fluffball and Dippy in and see what you think. You dont have to breed to show either you can just get the rabbits you want to show with :)

My family don't love rabbits - Its only me I love them passionalty sp? Dad just said it so I just thought about it and said okay, It will be a fun experience and I love rabbits - mum and dad won't take me to shows - its not my fault :(

My major concer with this whole thing is the money situation, which i didnt state very clearly originally that is why i edited. Your parents didnt have money to get Dippy (i am recalling by memory and i could be wrong,lol, preggo brain) fixed so my Major concern that is if something medically comes up down the line with a problem pregnancy then are they going to have the money to take care of that situation. A cesarian, or a sick baby bun , i would think, would be way more expensive then a alteration,KWIM. I hope that if you and your family are doing this that they are aware of the possible monetary situation that could arise from this.

4H is a program where kids are guided through things like how to breed and for a purpose (showing, improvement of the breed and education)... With that in mind, breeding is a positive thing.

I think this is true for most animals. Unless they have a real purpose that another homeless animal can serve, then why add to the already overpopulation?

I understand what you are all saying and I know you may think I am immature and just want "cute baby bunnies" but that is not the case. My dad said he is willing to take her to the vet and pay as much money as it takes in case something goes wrong.

He thinks it will be a great experience. I have made a lot of friends on this forum and don't really want to argue with you all.

:(

EDIT: I have just asked if we could adopt a bunny instead but that was a no though I don't understand why.

BabyBunnies wrote:
My dad said he is willing to take her to the vet and pay as much money as it takes in case something goes wrong.

I am happy to hear this, hopefully there will be no complications :Dand the buns will be ok

Yup!

I am sure there won't be *fingers crossed* I will just leave her too it and only bother them when I have to - to check babies have been fed and take out any dead ones :(Also like I said to you earlier Fran i will make a leaflet to give to the babies new homes and go and check out their cage etc!!!

And my mum will take them to the vet if anything happens if I'm out :)

I'm in a bit of a hurry as I need to pick Art up soon...but I want to add something to this thread.

First of all, I saw this decision coming a while back....so I'm really not surprised at all.

And to be honest with you - I really feel bad about your decision to breed. I've "been there...done that" and at times it is heartbreaking. I honestly believe I lost GingerSpice, a beloved pet....because I bred her when I shouldn't have...and her immune system wound up being compromised. I always try to tell people, "never breed a pet...you don't know what can go wrong.."

Secondly, it seems interesting to me that there was no money to get Dippy neutered but suddenly there is money if a doe has problems. I know I've paid out a bunch of money to take does to the vet for their pregnancies...and it can be scary when a doe has problems...but if your parents feel they can handle it ..good.

Honestly - I wish many times I'd never started breeding. There were things about it that were good experiences - but so many that were not good experiences. I may be breeding one or two more litters out of does where the line died off in a barn fire and I've been asked to consider the breeding to revive the line. But even then - I don't know...

With all that said - I think we as a forum need to remember that these are not "our" rabbits...they are BabyBunnies' rabbits and we can not make her decisions for her. We may want to argue till we're blue in the face....we may want to change her mind and have good reasons for wanting to change her mind. We may even have our own personal opinions.

But each and every bunny owner on here has their own beliefs and rights and while we may not agree with them all (and support their decisions in our hearts) - we as a forum are here to help everyone.

I'm not overly thrilled with the decision that's been made....but it isn't my decision and I'm not the one who has to live with it....

Good luck in your breeding and you know where to come if/when you have questions.

Thanks I think :?

Even though you are saying that you don't want to influence me etc their my bunnies you are still said:

"I'm not overly thrilled with the decision that's been made....but it isn't my decision and I'm not the one who has to live with it...."

Which made me feel bad - I like to think of bunnies as one of the only things I'm actually good at and sometimes people just make me feel like I'm stupid all over again. :(

Latest posts

Back