We Are Rabbit Sitting.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivy43

Reaction score
We have been privileged to be rabbit sitting forthe past two years for our daughter's science teacher at her school"The Secondary School For Journalism,"in Park Slope,Brooklyn.The storythat we want to share is one that is filled with happiness.

Broccolli has been the school's mascot.He has a heart of gold,and,whenyou see him he takes your heart away.We had never had the chance tocare for a rabbit before our daughter had entered the sixth grade twoyears ago.And,when she had happily asked my husband and I "Mom,dad,can"Broccolli" stay with us for the Christmas vacation?" We said "Yes."Our daughter was overjoyed.She had never had a pet,and this was herfirst time rabbit sitting,as it was ours.

Now every year,this sweet rabbit brings joy to our lives.He is energetic,and loving.

Feeding him has been a real challenge at times when he gets angry.(Heturns his bowl over when he cannot come out and play on the bed).Heloves watching tv and listening to music and being read to.Broccollialso loves being handfed his carrots.

We have the privilege of rabbit sitting him for the entire summer.Ourdaughter was thrilled.When we had to pick him up from school,it was achallenge for us.The cage weighs more than he does.We had some helpgetting the cage outside and had some children stared and wanted toplay with him.Broccolli objected.He only wanted our daughter to givehim that kind of attention.

We are the only ones who the teacher trusts with this beautifulrabbit.We love him like he is our own.He makes our home so full of loveand joy.He stays up all night,and, yet he still finds time to play withus during the day.He rests in between.Broccolli is now spoiled,and thatis fine with us.We play with him,and,he enjoys being around us.

This site has helped us to better understand our little visitor . Wehad learned how to keep the fan low,and to keep him company.We hadtaken him last week to my in-laws for a few days.My father-in-law wassurprised when he saw him at first."You didn't have to take him.Youcould have left him home."My husband was quick to add "He is a part ofour family and when we go for a few days so does he."

My brother-in-law had asked my husband "'Yo',what's with therabbit?Boy,am I hungry.I could use some rabbit stew right about now."My husband looked at him like if looks could kill,he said calmly"Listen,that wasn't funny.He's our rabbit.If you even touch him,I"lltouch you.""Hey,I was just kidding,okay?Chill out." To us,this rabbitis under alot of stress as it is.He is constantly afraid thatsomeone or something is going to harm him.The last thing that he needsis to feel is that his fears will come true.Broccolli is sweet,andloving.He is very protective of us,and he will bite if he isprovoked.He loves my husband and he climbs on top of us when we arewatching movies.He is a real blessing to us.:D

Nice story. :)

That's funny, just the other day one of the members was threatening herrabbit with making him a part of rabbit stew because he chewed throughthe TV cord, lmao. She was just kidding mind you.

Broccolli is such a cute name! Very original. He sounds like a very sweet rabbit.

My Uncle said the same thing about my bunnies. He also said he coulduse some fuzzy slippers. I know he would never do anything to them, butnowthey stay in their cages when he is around.

The owners of our local feed store have a rabbit named "Stew." You won't find many rabbits with that name!

How did he do traveling? Did you bring his cage or did you bring him insomething smaller for car ride? I would love to bring my rabbits withus when we go on vacation, but my parents think they are safer at homeand knowing my family they probably are. I also think the idea of fourkids, two Rabbits, and a Guinea Pig in one car scares them.;)

Lissa

Welcome Ivy43! :dude:

That's huge for the School Mascot to be left to camp with you for the entire summer! Congratulations!!

I'm no psychic, but sounds like there's going to be more bunnies in your life.

Once you fall as hard as you and your husband and daughter have, it's a hard addiction to quit.

So happy to have you join us. Give Brocolli an ear rub for me.

:)

-Carolyn

I loved the story!! Broccoli sounds like onespecial bunny and I don't think he could've asked for a better place tospend his summer vacation.

That's funny my father-in-law says the same thing when we travel withMr. Peabody. I swear they all think I'm crazy for all the time I devoteto my bun. I always say, 'You wouldn't expect me to leave one of mykids homealone for a week would you' because in my eyes thatswhat Peabody is....just one of my kids. It's wonderful to met morepeople who totally feel the same way.

I know how it is Ty-bee! I can't take my rabbitson vacation because we always go far away and allergies make us leavethem at home. But my sister and brother in lawbunny-sit them.Well they can tell you how long and explicit I make my instructions! Ileave a page of neatly organized instructions on feeding them, typed insmall print on the fridge with every detail I could think of. I toldthem not to risk putting them outside in case they got loose, and soon,lol. The only good thing, I didn't have to leave a numberfor the vet! My brother in laws mom works at a vet clinic with a rabbitsavvy vet so that was one less thing on my list, lmao. Worry wort thatI am!

HiIvy!

How's the summer going with Broccoli?

-Carolyn

Back