Ways to Help Animals Affected by Hurricane Katrina

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
hphoto005.jpg

x-posted from blog:

ASPCA'sDisaster Relief Fund - helps shelters andorganizations across the country that are impacted by natural disasters

HumaneSociety of the United States (HSUS) - relief effortto rescue animals and assist their caregivers in the disaster areas

Noah's Wish -dedicated exclusively to caring for animals in disaster situations.Will accept supplies, as well as monetary donations.

North Shore Animal League- helping to alleviate shelters in affected areas of the homeless petsthat are already in their care, in order to open their facilities as astaging area for displaced or injured animals.

PETsMARTCharities - provides emergency relief funding toassist pets in times of hurricanes, earthquakes, fire and other naturalcatastrophes

I've seen some of those poor animals as well. :tears2:

I can't get over the devastation. It just blows my mind.

:pray:

-Carolyn

A rabbitry in Texas after Katrina hit:

post-64-1126448570.jpg

post-64-1126448854.jpg

:tears2:

I know. :sad:

Buck had his hands full that day! I can't believe anysurvived with the stress. A couple of friends of mine hasraised theirhands to adopt any abandoned rabbit left behindfrom the storm.

Here's the barn.
bunnysad.bmp

post-64-1126448671.jpg

thankfully most ofthe rabbits pictured are stillalive , there is hope , TheBunny God was watching over them and keptmany safe and from harms way ,. I canthelp Monitarily but if some needfostering I would be willing to take in afew more . I can have Hubby goand make a new Q station andBuild cages . just let me know .

I know, I'm sorry to upset you, Folks.You know I don't like to show pictures and hear stories of suchthings-especially things out of our control, but in this case, peoplecan make a difference and that's why I posted them in thisthread.

I've saidall along that I feel worse for the animals than thepeople. I've seen folks look at me like I was nuts, but atleast the people know what was going on and could get out.The animals, such as these,had no clue and couldn't get out.

-Carolyn

I agree Carolyn ,I dont have a problem with the post ,I will do what I can as youknow I will . al needs said isa word and I will start the Q stationsand cages .

Bless your heart, Gypsy. Yes, I do know that you'd raise your hand if it was at all possible for you.

-Carolyn

We registered through Petfinder.com and offered to adopt or foster.

They are transporting animals to a shelter in northern NJ. We offeredto take one dog and 4 small furries (bunnies, gerbils, and/or hamsters).

Here's their response to our offer:

Hi,Mrs D.,
I'm contacting you in regard to your offer to foster the following:Furrys: 4,
Dogs: 1, for weeks. We are an established animal rescue organization in North
Jersey. We are intending to bring Katrina displaced pets here for foster care in
the near future. Please contact me if you are still considering fostering one of
these pets.
Thank you,
Pat

Carolyn wrote:
A rabbitry in Texas after Katrina hit:

post-64-1126448570.jpg

post-64-1126448854.jpg

:tears2:

What heats me is that they took the time to take the pictures!! Theystood there for a min and took those pictures! GET THOSE BUNNIES OUT OFTHERE!!!

I really hope we get some fuzzies!!

Danielle : listen Hon , Youhave to think aboutit this way , They have too have thosepictures , for placements andfor insurance purposes . Whatwe are most likely NOT seeing is theVolunteers over on the other side workingfrantically to remove those rabbits , Imsure there are many more there than whatis pictured .

This is most likely a RabbitFarm IE: Meat Rabbits .not that that takes anything away fromthe rabbits and their hopesof rescue . I am trying to getacrossed just how many MORE rabbits could be there. From just what IsPictured itwould take 50 people just in the firstpicture alone to remove the rabbits. Concidering the devistationthis Catagory 5 Hurricane didYou would be very lucky to find 20People willing to help the Owner. Be assured they were doing the verybest they could to relocate the rabbitswith what help they had .

Also keep in mind this post didnt sayIf this was a News Reportertaking the pictures ,nordid it say it was anInsurance Adjuster . The person behindthe Camera could very well be a AnimalRescue Worker who by Law hasto document what He found. Every Rescue , Animal orHuman takes a certain amount of time . Certainproceedures MUST be followed . I alsoshould mention that Every Rabbitremoved has to be numbered andA Photo taken of for Identifacationpurposes . Again time is neededto be taken to ensure all animalsare returned to theirproper Owners .

This Post is Very Different than theothers that are blatent abuse , and abuseof power . This is a NaturalDisaster , there is no abusehere to be seen . They are just doingtheir jobs as best as they canin such a situation .

Very Well Done, Gypsy! :star:

I just got off the phone with Danielle and I know she hasn't read yourreply, but she said it right back to me on the phone. Like the rest ofus, she wanted to just reach through the screen and take them out. Weall worried and thought, 'there's no time to waste.'

You did an excellent job of explaining it for all of us. In your reply, you have given much comfort to us all.

Danielle, Her Mother, Father, and Sister are waiting for their fosterbabies with open arms and hearts - just like you, My Dear Friend.

And yes, this was a meat rabbitry. I'll reiterate again that this forumis open to all rabbit fanciers; show, meat, pet, and rescuers. We allcare about our rabbits' health and safety. It's a tragedy for all.

-Carolyn

gypsy wrote:
?This Post is? Very Different? than the others? that are blatent?abuse? , and abuse of power .? This? is a? Natural? Disaster ,? thereis? no? abuse? here to be seen .? They are just? doing their? jobs? as?best? as they can in? such a situation .

I sincerely Thank You for noting this, Gypsy.

I put a lot of thought into whether I should post these pictures,knowing they'd upset people. The only reason why I did is because Wecan make a difference. I chose carefully which thread they should beposted in.

Thank you, m.e., for creating this thread to begin with. If peoplecan't adopt or foster, you have given them the information in whichthey can help.

Respectfully submitted,
-Carolyn

Jim D, I really admire you for offereing tofoster. We haven't been able to make that commitment becausewe just took in some abadoned rabbits the week before thestorm. I hope it works out for you.

Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine is another place seeking donations.

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/

They have taken in many animals from the flooded SPCA, vet clinics andthe streets. They are taking in large animals, as well as,house pets. Visitation is available for the owners.Thereare also links to reunite owners and pets. Ihope people will look at the site and see what a great job they aredoing.

These organizations can use all doantions. Nothing is toosmall to help. If you can't afford to donate, perhaps you canshare the list with others. Maybe it's time to clean out thehouse and have a garage sale with the proceeds going to one of theanimal charities.

Carolyn, thanks for letting the information about the rescues be spreadto many through the board. Members here can make a difference.

seniorcats wrote:
Members here can make a difference
?

So True. It really hits home when you see that rabbitry destroyed and you read Gypsy's reply.

With people like Gypsy, JimD and his Bride, m.e., and you, seniorcats...some animals will have a chance.

It's not 'Carolyn' that brought this to the surface; it was m.e. who started this campaign/thread to help the animals.

-Carolyn

Kathy Smith is in contact with local shelters in the surrounding areas of the storm. She raised her hand to care for rabbits.

Just another thought if you don't know where to start.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back