way O/T, but who has a small dog?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossombunny

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a lap dog, if so what breeddo you have, and do you like it?We just had to put our dogdown recently:( and are thinking of getting another one, but I wouldlike a little dog. Just wondering what your opinionswere! Tracy

blossombunny wrote:
Does anyone here have a lap dog, if so what breed do you have,and do you like it? We just had to put our dog down recently:( and arethinking of getting another one, but I would like a little dog. Justwondering what your opinions were! Tracy

I dont have a little dog (always wanted one though!). My sister and herhusband do have a little dog, though.... they've got a Cockapoo.... amixture of cocker spaniel and minature poodle. It's a really cute dog,and she's very lovey-dovey, but she's very naughty. She runs off anychance she gets, and she's the type of dog that doesnt come back whencalled. she also barks quite a bit..... my sister always says that theoriginators of the cockapoo line bred the best parts of the cocker tothe best traits of the poodle. My husband always says that instead it'slike they ended up with the worst traits of each line....lol.

I have a Min Pin, who is very much a lap dog. Iwould not have picked the breed if it were my choice. Don't get mewrong, I love her to death, but most days I want to strangle her, LOL.She is very, very hyper. She constantly barks (ie. this morning shewoke me up at 5am and I couldn't get back to sleep, tried to take a napthis afternoon, but she decided to bark for hours on end). She also hasa one track mind. Once she gets on something she gets obsessed.

Can you tell I am a "big dog" person? :p

~Nichole

I guess it would help if I told you more what Iam looking for! We had a long haired chiuaua, and it was anaughty dog, piddled in the house occasionally, barked non stop, alittle crabby (except to me, she loved me!!) didn't listen, etc...BUT...I loved her to death!!! and am so sad shes gone! I amhome all day, I have an in home daycare, so little ones everywhere, butVERY well behaved little ones that treat my animals (yes we have asmall zoo) with respect! We have a fenced in yard.I have a big dog, (a lab) three indoor cats, a guniea pig and ourbunny. Tracy

the smaller terriers generally do well,especially since you'll be home most of the day. japanese chins,although rare and expensive, is an OK breed, although you need to haveit well-socialized.......i'll do some more research tomorrow, tired.
Ellie

I have a yorkie. My mom has one and mybrother has 2. We love them. We have always beenbig dog people, but my brother's girlfriend wanted one and so did mymom's boyfriend, I fell in love with my brother's, my mom knew someonewith a litter, so we took 3 of those.

They are big lap dogs and really 1 person dogs. I was withall 4 today actually and mine is attached to me (it's actually a littleobsessive), Mack is attached to my mom and Colby is Vicki's and Zeus ismy bro's. They are extremely loving, but have greatpersonality. I am really happy with them.

This is Jake, my baby. He's 7 months.

Jen

We have a Brussels Griffon and she is just thesweetest! I know an excellant breeder in New Mexico, and she couldpossiblyhelp me locate someone near you.

I am very particular to border terriers:
accueil.jpg

Although I've never had one, this is the dog I'm going to getnext. They are the calmest of the terrier breeds, verybright, and look at those faces!!!

However I would also recommend going to a shelter and finding a nicesmall mixed breed. I have found that mixed breeds are lessprone to health and behavioral problems. Good luck!

-Vanessa

I kinda like the crested terriers =D

I dont know... the smallest dog I'd personally get is a Welsh PembrokeCorgi... but then again they usually THINK they are big dogs =p

I think with much research from a neutralstandpoint you will find that common opinion is that smaller breeds areusually more inclined to have a lot of heath problems. This is becauseof the recent surge in popularity and the inability to be able tocontrolbreeding.

In other words when Jack Russels becamepopular, anyone could go by two of them and just start breeding them tomake a quick buck, AND they did! This is so bad for the breeds. You endup with so many different breeds that are bombarded with heathproblems. I've bred Cocker Spaniels and Pomeranians. Neither of which Iwould breed again. :(Don't get me wrong. These same problemsexist with many of the large breeds too. But the quest to downsizethese small breeds has added to their demise as well.

Be very careful in your research. Talk toyour vet, especially if you have children, about how fragile the dogsare. Thoroughly check out breeders.

I'd highly recommend a mixed breed from ashelter (in a small size) The best dog I ever, ever had was a mixedbreed! She was part wiener dog and part cocker and probably a bit ofsomething else (we think!) She lived to be 16 and never had to go tothe vet. :)

RaspberrySwirl

beware of Terriers though... alot of them like tobark! my neighbor has a mini schouners (sp) that i dogsit when they areout of town.. and that dog does not stop barking!!!!!

for a little lap dog type i'd suggest a Maltees... or if you dont minda medium sized dog (50 lbs) then you could get a springer.. they areVERY hyper... but my dog is very loveable! and she is such a lap dog!and she is just the best... they only bad thing about springers istheir need to be outside running around! they would also keep you ingreat shape!

i'd suggest checking out your local animal shelter before you settle ona breed. because you'd be surprzied at what kind of dogs their are thatare much better than a small dog! (ex. a Golden Retiver.. had one andthey will do ANYTHING to please the owner)

you could also go to www.akc.org and they have breed secltor.. (ex.what kind of dog is right for you) and it will help you pick out a dogSpringers and Goldens both i know for a fact LOVE kids! i have mycouins ages 3-6 over nonstop! infact they are coming over at 1 today!lol.. anyways.. they can do what whatever they want to her she neverbit them.. she gets sooooo happy to see them.. Springers are greatfamily dogs... the ony bad thing is that their hyperness but since youalready have a Lab the springer would be able to burn it with the lab!Springers i think of them as a small dog because of how big my dog is..she is soooooo small durring the winter shes like 55 lbs and in thesummer shes like 4o somthin lbs.. its because in the winter nobody willgo outside with her, so she gains weight, and in the summer people arealways outside and she goes swimming in the family pool.. Springers arejust the best Family dog, they LOVE to be with their family all thetime!

Brittney:
Brittney2.jpg

Hi,

My grandmother has a dachshund. He is a really good littledog. He is not too spastic(only when my mom and I come tovisit!:p). They are really cool dogs. I used tohave a chiuaua. He was always bouncing off the walls, but hewas fun to play with! LOL!:D

Ally:dude:

We used to have a little mexican doggie. I cannever spell that right. Hope i didnt offend anyone with how idescribe the breed since i cant spell it. I lovedhim very much. He was a pretty good dog, he did think he wastop dog though. He would take on a big dog for his family. Heactully did that. Fought off a huskie when it came runningloose. More like bark bark bark. I miss him.

So sorry about your dog :( Wehave an older Jack Russell named Toby. When he crosses overthe rainbow bridge, I'm going to surprise my son Ryan with another JRpuppy.

I had a snazhchuer(spelling? reallybad), named Frasier, and he was the best dog in the world. He never didanything he wasn't supposed to. He could tell when you wanted to playor lay down and go to sleep. The only one thing wrong with Frasier washe was chasing the cat and ended up getting his leg broken. We don'thave him anymore because we had to move, but we are looking for anotherone. They are said to be the smartest dog and can learn very quickly.

Latest posts

Back