Wax Buildup in One Ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymandolinist

Reaction score
Been a while since I've poked around on here. I have a Lionhead Buck and I just noticed a few days ago that there is a bit of a wax buildup in his right ear. He's been acting very normally, eats, drinks, didn't even notice it until then. Hoping there's a quick solution to this and REALLY hoping it won't lead to anything serious. What's you're opinion on the situation?

There could be a few reasons for this. His ear just might need to be flushed, like humans do. He could have ear mites. Clean it out for him and if it comes back, see the vet. I personally think his ears just need to be cleaned.

:yeahthat:

It's often a sign of mites or infection. Rabbit ears are more complicated than the ears of dogs or cats. The ears of dogs and cats are more open and it is difficult to push things into the actual ear canal. Not so for bunnies--their ears can very easily become blocked and that can lead to infection.

I'm thinking his ears just need to be cleaned too. I'm going away this week so I'll have to see about getting that done. Not comfortable doing this myself. If the vet charges too much for it I can't have them do it either. I'll just have to play it by ear (sorry) and see what happens. In the mean time can you offer any other suggestions or other things I should be on the lookout for?

Some browisnh waxy build up may be ear mites ..if it was ear mites he would start scratching at that ear.

if he looks OK now and is not scrtching I would take him to the vet ASAP even if it is next week
the vet should not charge too much for an exam.

i have a holland lop that gets wax buildup all the time..everytime shes gone to the vet for this or that he sees the wax and digs some out and states its just wax...but it really bothers her sometimes ..ive looked in her ear many times ..and i gotta tell u it aint easy..i do know that one hole is a dead end and the other is to her ear canal...but if i cant even see in there how in the heck can it be cleaned ya know..and im thinkin ur little lionhead has an even tinier ear opening...trust me ..let the vet do it..:)

Latest posts

Back