Watery Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
Zoies eyes are really watery. She just got spayed this morning, but is that normal? She seems more out of it since we gave her her pain meds an hour ago, and her eyes look a little more runny now. She ate when she first got home, and drank a little water and than didntwant anything else. We gave herpain meds on time and waited about an hour and busted out more cilantro and parsly because she wasnt having anything to do with her hay, treats, or pellets.We just got her to eat a little more and drink some,but her eyes are half closed and really gloppy looking. Is this normal? First I was a nervous mommy than I was a excited mommy and now Im a parinoid mommy.. thanks for all the help, this site is a blessing. :DAnother question is will her pain meds kinda make her out of it everytime she has them? If you want to throw in anything else you have learned from experience please mention it. Anything random I should keep in mind? Thanks so much.

It might be from the mask used to give her the gas. Fey had that once after a surgery to stitch up a wound. Wipe her eyes gently with a warm wet cloth, and see how they are tomorrow. She'll probably be alright.

It's great that she's eating and drinking already. Hooray for a safe, successful surgery!

Hi,

They use a gel at the vet to keep the eyes lubricated during sedation. That should be self resolving in a day or so. Being "out of it" is most likely due to the anesthesia combined with the pain meds. Most vets are still using isoflorane which has a longer rebound time than Sevoflourane. And many use a sedative like Ketamine prior to sedation which helps take the edge off the stress. If your pain meds are a narcotic, you might have a drowsy bunny for a couple of days.

Randy

Okay thank you so much for the replys we got up at 2 in the morning to give her her meds and caught her munching on some hay but this morning shes out of it again she ate a little cilantro though and her eyes look a little better

Don't forget that she just had major abdominal surgery. Just like a human, recovery from those types of procedures take some time. Even though you bring her home the same day, the procedure itself is not like outpatient surgery to us. Her body needs time to rest and heal just as you would if you had an abdominal hysterectomy:sickbunny:

When we have bunnies spayed (or neutered) the vet always recommends limited activity, anyway. We place our post-ops in a smaller cage with a wire floor and don't allow them any opportunity for high jumping or fast running. They just rest for a while. After a few days we allow limited, supervised play. Usually I prefer to wait for a post-op visit with the vet before giving bunnies total freedom again.

~Mary Ellen

Yeah Im a little crazy about her haha I watch for every little thing. Thank you for all the help.

Latest posts

Back