Water dish instead of water bottle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bunnies who prefer a crock over a bottle, and those who prefer a bottle over a crock, although they all know how to drink out of both.

At county fair the rabbits (unless English Lop/Angoras) have to have crocks, so some of the bunnies get the bottles at home, but they adjust well for the crocks during fair time.

Emily

All my bunnies have water bottles, I find it easier to monitor them, how much they are drinking and such and have never had a problem with the brand of water bottle I use. Plus the rabbits constantly knock shavings into their water if in a bowl so I'd be constantly in and out filling water, so many people here seem to use bowls though so now I fell bad about giving them bottles :twitch:

I use bowls with my bunnies, and have done for ages. We used bottles at first, for a couple of months, but they are SUCH a pain to clean, even with a bottle brush, as Brandy says there's always bits you can't reach properly and it goes green and yucky :expressionless Plus, they'd leak everywhere, and Mouse and Chalk barely used them at all.

We get the big heavy ceramic dog bowls to use as water dishes and they work great! Sometimes the bunnies kick hay, or put toys in the bowl, but the water's changed once, usually twice a day anyway so it doesn't matter too much. Sometimes an excited bunny will dip a paw in the bowl accidentally but they don't mind too much either. Barney sometimes (I swear purposely) dips his ear in the bowl whilst he's lying down :D

Dotty's water bowl is wedged in between her litter tray and the chest of drawers in my bedroom so she can't accidentally tip it all over the place.

I use water bottles for some of my buns and some get heavy ceramic dishes/crocks. The ones who were changed from bottles to dishes were the ones who always played with the bottle and would empty it all over the cage.

I just had a water bottle problem yesterday. I filled a large water bottle and hung it in Haley's cage in the early am. Went back in the early afternoon to clean cages and tidy up a bit and found Haley's cage full of water and the bottle empty.

I have been thinking of possibly changing over to dishes for everyone.

I've used both and mine seem to do good with either - the bottles do seem more sanitary and I've only had two that needed to be replaced due to dripping.
My way of cleaning them is to take them in 1x a week and put a drop of bleach in them, fill it and shake and let sit for a min or two, then rinse, rinse until all the bleach is out.
So far,this has worked for us.

Back in October my mini rex was sick and would only drink water from a bowl and ever since then she'd rather use the bowl. I still give her the bottle too but she only drinks outta that if she's reallly thirsty.

Latest posts

Back