Water dish freezing question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie

Reaction score
Have our bun outside & it isstarting to dip in temps & feeze the water in dish overnight. Any tips to help this ? Want to do theelectric water dish & have 2 big dogs that will get a hold ofcord running to hutch, so that's out.

Thanks,

Jennie

Other than changing the bowls often or bringingthe buns in for the winter, I don't think any member has come up withany solutions to this.

I seem to remember somebunnie put hay in the water, and found that it doesn't freeze as fast.

I suggested using some of those heated hunter's socks for outdoorwaterbottles, but the water in tube and fonts would probably stillfreeze.

If it does freeze in the dish overnight till it can get changed in the morning, will she be ok withoutwater ? Don't like this idea , but , can't go out at nightlong to change it. Can you put something in the water dish toprevent freezing all the way ?

Thanks,

Jennie :bunnydance:

Actually, I've found that putting a section ofthe newspaper under the crocks helps to insulate them a bit better sothe water doesn't freeze as quickly. After discovering this, I thinkI'm going to see if I can actually use newspaper to make a sort ofcrock coozie. I imagine it would give more insulation and would becompletely safe should any of the buns decide to taste it. :)

Heather

Buns can get good amounts of water from veggies, too.
An evening salad might be adequate to hold them over until morning.

Warm the water crocks before putting them out, and fill them with warm water.
Put them out as late as you can before turning in.

Put the crocksin a part of the cage/hutch that is protected from the wind.

A small plastic ball in the water might keep it from freezing as fast.Make sure the ball is of the right sizeso thebunscan still get at the water.

I would have two sets of crocks so I could switch them out in the nightif I got up....which I probably would because I'd be checking on thebuns anyway. ;)

`jimd

Latest posts

Back