Water Consumption

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
I just want to make sure everything's all right. I know I worry too much, but better safe than sorry!

Today I went out into Mocha's run to make sure he was doing okay. Hehad been out since 9 or 10 this morning and it got up to 28+ C. He hadlots of water, a tub full so he could hop in it if he wanted and hiswater bottle, and a frozen water bottle to cool off next to. I neversee him drink out of his water bottle while he's in his run, so Iunhooked it from the side of the fencing and brought it over to hismouth earlier this evening, he started drinking vigorously from italmost immediately. I sat there holding the bottle and he drank a good2 oz in the time period (non-stop drinking). It kind of worried me, soI checked to see but he was not dehydrated at all, he was reactingnormally, moving fine and everything. I think he may not have foundwhere his water bottle was perhaps, even if I only ever put it in onespot. Is it a concern that he drank so much at once? He seems fine,active and normal. He's eating well and is overall acting normal.

I would put a dish in the run for him to drinkout of. I've noticed that our rabbits may not drink well outof a new font when we move them to another cage, so I place small dishof water underneath the water font to be certain they are drinking.

Pam

I always put a bowl of water out for the girlswhen I am home (and they are out), since for some oddball reason theywont go back in their cages to drink-they will go back in to lounge oreat but not to drink! I think they like the bowl, but there is no waythey are getting a mobile pool in their cages for now with theiraffinity to toss and nudge. Its bad enough that I have to step over thepuddle when Jade gets her little nose next to the bowl, and decides shewants to push it waaaaaaaaaaaaay overthere------------------> hehe

MBB, good observation though, I have wondered myself aboutthe vast intake of water at times when there is access to water(different circumstances but all the same, good point to bring up!)

Cher

Hey, Cher, I'm just wondering as a pointof interest -- Do you think that your girls will have trouble adjustingto the water back in the States? I'm wondering if the "taste"and "chemical content", i.e. fluoride and such will be different whenyou get back here.

Think I read here, a suggestion from pamnock,about using bottled water. In my area, so many of the wellsare deep ones anymore. I live on an acreage. Thewater from these deep wells has a different smell and taste.....hassomewhat of a phosphorus smell to it. Everybody here, exceptfor Bushie, has been used to it. (I'm using bottled water forhim.)In this part of the country, you can buy agallon of"drinking water" for 59 cents a gallon at WalMart. Back in the days when I sold quite afew"pets", I always sent a gallon of the water they were usedto with the new owner so they could mix with their water in changingover. The same with the pellets I was feeding.

Well I think Mocha just likes being"bottle fed". He had plenty of water in a dish right next to where hewas laying but I still unhooked his water bottle and put it infront ofhis mouth. Yet again he drank from it. It's not like he didn't haveaccess to water or anything and he knew where the dish was for sure.Maybe he just liked me holding the bottle, lol he's my little baby!Even Spice does it, just drinks a lot less, spoiled rotten bunnies!

The problem with bottled water (in plasticbottles, that is), is that the bottles are not disinfected before theyare recycled, therefore you don't know what kind of bacteria you areingesting. A tsp. of bleach to a gallon a water should get even thefinickiest to drink. For our own consumption, we use a filter withglass bottles, or when we buy distilled water, I transfer it into aglass bottle, add 1/4 lemon/gallon and put it out in the sun fordisinfection. It works wonders and we know our water supply is healthy.

I use plain old tap water. I live in town and there is no way my parents would ever buy bottled water for my rabbits.

Great point, and greatidea's SinceI had not really thoughtabout their waterwhen we gohome. I thought about thefood (which they are going toprobably confiscate atcustoms but I am going to try anyways)just in case they get picky and will want to do the slowintegration with their new food.Right now I use boiled withvanilla~and at home indont drink it (there is afilter under the house but it is still non-drinkable)

heheBM

Cher

Latest posts

Back