Water Bottles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I have tried sooo many different waterbottles and every one of them leaks. I am getting so frustrated. It'sso aggravating tobuy new water bottles, clean them out, fill them up,hang them only to see drip..drip..drip.

Are there any water bottles out there that don't leak?

Any help will be so appreciated not just by me but the furkids as well.

Tina

I forget the brand name but I have one with afloating duck inside it and a spring holding the ball in thetip. It doesn't leak. But neither of my rabbitswill drink from it. Mocha's too small to push the ball andspring back. I'm not sure what Loki's excuse is!Maybe it just doesn't give out much water in a lick.

You might try the Nivek brand, sold by KW Cageswww.kwcages.comthey come in 8ox,16 oz and 32 oz fill from large opening in top and have same nipples asnautomatic watering systems. I've had some that haven't leaked a dropin several years.

Thank you everyone. I've tried theduckie one and it was a no go with this crew. I have bought 8 Lixit andeveryone of them has leaked. I'll try the Nivek next. Again thank youeveryone.

Tina

Hi, I always wrap the top of mybottles with Teflon Tape (the white stuff that plumbers use).It seems to help with the dripping. It doesn't hurt therabbits. Charlotte

Oh W:shock:W, I never thought of that. Ihave spent a fortune on water bottles in the past year and a half. I'llhave to pick some up and see if that helps.

Thank you.

Tina

Are the bottles dripping from the start or arethey fine when you first get them? One of my rabbits wouldchew on it through the wire and create a hole. Anotherproblem i found was that when you are cleaning it, there is a rubberwasher piece that fits between the bottle itself and the cap where theydrink from. Could this piece fall out while yourcleaning. Happened to me a few times before I realized whatwas happening.;)

Great Post,Tina!

I've been in search of the perfect waterbottle foryears! I was giving up hope. Will definitelylook into the suggestions made.

Thanks folks!

-Carolyn

The tube and ball typw water bottles nwill leakuntil na vacuum forms in the bottle. If there is air getting into thebottle the vacuum can't form and the bottle will leak. When I used thistype of waterer I put a garden hose washer in the cap then put the tubeand rubber stopper in. Often this would improve the seal. The Nivekbottle are great, they remain attached to the cage and are filled thruthe large top opening. With over 200 cages with pans under them I haveno use for leaking water bottles:shock:

Carolyn, you are welcome.

Rick, is it ok to call you Rick? I don't have near the bunnsyou do W:shock:W, I will only have 10 but that's alot of leaky waterbottles and messes to clean up. I am going to be ordering the Nivekbottles you gave me the link to. I can't wait to start ordering. Thankyou.

Charlotte, I tried the plumber's tape and it slowed the leak down a bit which is better. Thank you too.

Tina

Last time I bought water bottles, I bought 32 ozweather resistant ones made by Farnum. They use two balls (fonts) inthe tube. They have hardly leaked at all except for the first moment ortwo.

My problem with leaky bottles is more due to mineral deposits that forminside the tube or on the font. I started soaking the topsinwhite vinegar and that resolved the issue. Once a week I soak them forabout 10 minutes.

I use Oasis All Weather bottles, just theregular ball and tube ones. They seem to work better thenanything else I've tried. They still drip some, but not likethe others. I'll have to try the teflon tape andthe soaking them in vinegar too though.

Jen

dajeti2 wrote:
Carolyn, you are welcome.

Rick, is it ok to call you Rick? I don't have near the bunnsyou do W:shock:W, I will only have 10 but that's alot of leaky waterbottles and messes to clean up. I am going to be ordering the Nivekbottles you gave me the link to. I can't wait to start ordering. Thankyou.

Charlotte, I tried the plumber's tape and it slowed the leak down a bit which is better. Thank you too.

Tina
Tina, you may call me anything......but late fordinner:Dno, really that's what everyone calls me, except my4grandkids, they call me Papa;)

I use the2-liter soda conversion kits, you have to make sure the bottles arefilled to the TIPPY TOP, then they will leak for a little bit, but stopafter they create a seal. Also, make sure the bottles have washers inthem, sometimes that helps.

Qadoshyah

I can't figure out why I am having somany problems with water bottles. I bought 6 not long ago, got homecleaned them, filled them and they all leaked. Now town is an hour awayfrom me so back in the car return all six and replace them, drive homeand do it all again. They all leaked. I have yet to find a water bottlethat didn't leak.

Now I either have the worst luck or I'm buying that 10% ofbottles that leak. I've tried different brands as well. It's so crazynot to mention a waste of alot of money. I am going to be orfering theNiveks. It's about the only brand I haven't tried at this point.

I want to thank you all for your help and advice.

Tina

I used the one with the floating duck for my dogand it leaked horribly. I would come home and there would be watercovering the floor of her crate in the front. She hates getting herlittle paws wet, so sometimes she wouldn't even come out on her own soshe could avoid touching it!

For Kelso I use the Kaytee brand bottle. I'm pretty happy with it. Itleaks for the first few minutes, then stops. I put a folded paper towelunder the wire floor of his cage to catch the drips, so nothing getsmessed up.

Tina,

I too, have tried so many different bottles. I eveb have the ones blueones that say they don't leak. They have leaked and made such a mess nomatter what I do. I just got 3 Nivek water bottles about 4 days ago. Ihave not seen a single drop! I will definately be buying more of themto replace all the bottles in the house and to have extras for when Igetsome of my breeding herd. I would definatley have toreccomend these bottles to anyone that wants a no drip bottle.

Latest posts

Back