Water bottle help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with my water bottle issue? It seems the water bottles are indeed the culprits and are leaking so that must definitely be attracting the *takes deep breath and shudders* earwigs... The bunnies are housed outside in the shed so it is even more important that their hutches remain as dry as possible. I can't seem to figure how to make them stop leaking...

Am I doing something wrong? Should I replace them? If so, is there anything special or better out there that is more recommended?

I would really prefer bottles to crocks since they are less likely to tip over and Maybelle drags her ears in crocks as well... I am planning on getting those insulated bottles for the winter so I should be buying more bottles soon as well but if I can use these til then it would be appreciated...

Thankies! :biggrin2:

When I had bunnies outside I used large heavy crocks that couldn't be tipped over.

Now I use a variety of different bottles and I must admit that at one time or another they all havel leaked at least a little bit. Make sure to fill them all the way before tightening the lid. Some bunnies like to play with their water bottles which will make a mess as well. I suppose you could always try buying a different type bottle and see if it helps :)

You can get coop cups that are a little cup that hooks over the wire - designed for birds. Pop it under the water bottle and it will catch any drips, being a bit raised they also tend to get less messy than a bowl on the floor underneath.

I usually squeeze mine after filling while screwing on the top. I think someone here recommended it. It creates a little bit of a vacuum in it and seems to help the leaking. I haven't had one leak since I have been doing it.

You've seen mine haven't u? I hate the bottles, they leak and suck. Water crocks attached to the cage are great!

Pic:

[align=left]
qlc.gif
[/align]

Oooooh those DO look interesting Crys... :ponder:

Alright the squeeze idea, will do. The bowl under to catch the drippings... Why didn't I think of that? Lol. The heavy crocks... I used to have those but most bunnies still managed to tip them unless they were very large and I am concerned about freezing in the winter?

If I can figure the freezing water issue maybe I will rethink the bottles. You guys gave me many tips so I thank you for answering! :biggrin:

Nela wrote:
Oooooh those DO look interesting Crys... :ponder:

Alright the squeeze idea, will do. The bowl under to catch the drippings... Why didn't I think of that? Lol. The heavy crocks... I used to have those but most bunnies still managed to tip them unless they were very large and I am concerned about freezing in the winter?

If I can figure the freezing water issue maybe I will rethink the bottles. You guys gave me many tips so I thank you for answering! :biggrin:
What about using those things for bad/achy backs, the heat ones, and strap underneath the crock? That may help to keep water from freezing. Not sure. Just a thought.

i have water bottle issues too...hate em...ive done the crocks but cant seem to keep the hay outta the water ..then the water gets weird.i have every water bottle out there....all of em..ive tried everything..they all eventually leak..yea at first they fool ya..but then u let ur guard down and next thing u know i got bunnies needing golashes..ive tried glass bottles ,plastic,ive bought replacement washer doodads ..nope...nothinggggggggggg works............ive tried squeezing the bottle ..filling to the top....nope....ive even put the tape that u use when u connect water spouts..the tape that goes around the outside threads..thats the only thing that somewhat works..but i have to keep rewrapping everytime i fill their bottles up....im tellin u im goin into meltdown over this..:panic:..everybody tells me of a certain brand that kicks butt.. the first one i buy works GREAT...SO i go back for the other 9 more that i need........drip,drip,drip,drip.

i did perk up when i heard about the coop cup below for the drips...i do have a crock below some of my buns bottles but it takes up too much room for drips...i like ur coop cup idea......with the money ive spent on bottles i could have already had a drip system or something....grrr....
water crocks that u attach to the cage like the illustration above are the way to go if u have to do a crock ..i like em but they take up too much space did u notice...? the arm on them sticks out like 3" ..i try and jam it in the corner but then to fill it up takes some serious skillz........

Flash Gordon wrote:
..but then u let ur guard down and next thing u know i got bunnies needing golashes.
My husband just looked over and asked why I was laughing so hard! :laugh:
Bunnies with galoshes!

Nela wrote:
Can anyone help me with my water bottle issue? It seems the water bottles are indeed the culprits and are leaking so that must definitely be attracting the *takes deep breath and shudders* earwigs...

Have you tried fly spray in the cage? We had the same issue, but it was in the outdoor shed where the rabbits sleep in. The water bottle would drip all the time and the wood would become moist and it would attract the earwigs. I tried out the fly spray and it killed and repelled the ones around. I only sprayed it once a week and they wouldn't come. I am using the Bob Martin Mite Spray, which cost me about €8 or €10:
596990.jpg

I got sick of the water bottles, I found they are too messy too. They would soak the bedding and sometimes the rabbits would poop in the same spot, getting their fur dirty and wet.
I bought a ceramic bowl from the petshop and used that for water. Mine was €7. I prefer this method, although they sometimes get their noses and chins wet!

I've started using glass bottles, they work much better than the plastic ones I used previously. I have no idea what brands are available where you are, though.

Lol I had such a laugh with the galoshes part as well :p Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll keep the things mentioned in mind. I'm sure glass won't work for me though since I'm so clumsy... :p I'll probably try the cup under the bottle for now and next summer switch to the crocks attached to the cage. Thanks everyone for the ideas! :biggrin2:

I use the crocks like the one pictured above they attach to the hutch and the crock twists off for easy cleaning. I also have bottles so they have a choice, I make sure to fill it completely and then before attaching I turn it over and tap the ball to create the vacuum.
For winter they have heated bowls that attach to the hutch as well. They don't actually make the water warm but they keep it from freezing. You do have to have an electrical source but the cord is out of the hutch and also wrapped in wire so they can't chew it.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
You've seen mine haven't u? I hate the bottles, they leak and suck. Water crocks attached to the cage are great!

Pic:

[align=left]
qlc.gif
[/align]
I agree! This is definitely what you should end up using next summer. It's what I have and it works fantastic :)

Do they have washers in them? like the rubber ones for hoses? If they didn't come with them or lost them during cleaning/filling this generally is the cause to leaking problems with bottles if filled correctly. if you have regular bottles not the wide mouth ones its a simple fix by simply buying a pack of hose washers and putting them in the screwing part.

Back