Water and pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbits drink more water than other mammals their size. They average 50-150 ml of water per kg of body weight per day. This can vary based on diet (for example, rabbits that eat more fresh greens will drink less water than rabbits who eat more hay and pellets. It's important to always have clean fresh water available and I've found that most rabbits will drink more from a bowl or crock than they will from a bottle so it's good that you have a bottle available for him.
Many of the diseases that we often think of that caused increased water consumption and urination in other species are not common in rabbits, but if you feel that your rabbit's water consumption is unusually high or that it has increased, that is certainly something to bring up with your veterinarian and may warrant further diagnostic testing.

I see. I didn't realize they drink so much water... At least 5-6 cups daily?!

Rabbits can drink a lot, but a cup of water per lb of body weight does seem very excessive, especially when he didn't used to drink that much.. 1-3 oz. per lb of body weight is more typical.

If antibiotics didn't resolve the issue, the vet may need to investigate other possibilities like kidney problems, e. cuniculi, dental problems, infection, other bladder issues. Discomfort or pain from an illness or dental issues, can sometimes lead to a rabbit drinking excessively to try and sooth that pain. To find a possible cause, this may need further testing done, like xrays, full dental exam, , urinalysis, or blood tests.

Latest posts

Back