Watch the lionhead bunnies grow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It feels like it is the end of an era...this is what I just posted on the lionhead lists I belong to...

[line]I've let a handful of breeders know already but I felt it would be better if I posted it on the list(s) also so that everybody hears the same things.

Our last couple of litters have been really nice and we have some stock I'm really REALLY pleased with. I really have enjoyed the last couple of litters.

But we've had some losses lately - rabbits that I loved dearly - that touched my heart. I've had to rush does to the vet because I thought they were having problems with deliveries ~ and a much-beloved doe took ill this weekend and I was afraid it was breeding related. (It was not and she is fine).

This made me realize that I don't have the temperament for breeding lionheads (or anything else) anymore. I can't bring myself to "play God" by breeding does and putting their lives at risk - even if the risk is minor.

Its sorta sad too because we were getting body type down really well - and mane - and we were finally getting the small ears too!

But Art & I are very happy about our decision to get out of breeding. It is the right decision for us ~ breeding has been hard for me - I cry at the loss of babies - I cry at the loss of a rabbit - I sometimes even tear up and cry when a rabbit is sold!

We're going to go to the Seguin, TX show at the end of March and rehome many of our rabbits as pets there - along with rehoming them locally as pets. My favorites are going to be neutered and live pampered lives as pets with large cages and hopefully in bonded pairs.

I want to thank everyone we've bought from in the past - the list is simply too large to remember everyone here. I especially want to thank Lisa Brown for Triad and BunJovi ~ they were gifts from her and I offered them back (even though it was breaking my heart) and she has told me to keep them here - they'll be so spoiled. And I want to thank Kaela Shannon who sold me Isenstar (Star) and Sting last year - thanks to them - I finally got the compact bodies and small ears I was looking for. My last few litters - were what I'd dreamed of. It was all due to Sting and Star....thank you so much. They're going to be pampered pets too....Star lives right by my desk right now and Sting is by my daughter's desk and begs for pets whenever we walk by.

For a while, I will probably stay on the USA list and of course my own AOV list....but I'll probably leave the other lists since I'm really not going to be involved in showing or in the politics of the club.

I want to wish everyone the best of luck as you try to breed to the standard. I will continue to watch the breed and keep my fingers crossed that Gail gets the breed passed. It is so great to see people stepping up to the plate and pulling CODs for new colors. I sure hope someone pulls chocolate - and also someone pulls the otters.

I will continue to watch this breed develop - but as a lionhead lover - and not a lionhead breeder.

Good luck to everyone!

Peg

[line]
I'm crying even as I reread what I wrote - but I think they're good tears - the tears of knowing I'm doing the right thing even if it is hard...

JadeIcing wrote:

*Runs away from Alicia, dropping the idea of taking Ziggy home* :pNutter!

Awwww Peg, I don't know what to say really. I can only imagine that this must be really hard. I wouldn't know honestly. I do respect your decision and I think you will be so much happier being able to enjoy your bunnies as pets :rose:

:hug:<--- To Peg

:p<--- Ms.Binky

Peg as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Thanks folks - it feels like the end of one chapter and the beginning of a new one.

The day I made my decision to get out - I got an email that night that the gal finally had a NICE chocolate buck for me.

I wasn't tempted to stay in at all - I emailed her and let her know of my decision.

I'd stayed in during the last year to work on chocolates and brokens and wanted to keep my ARBA membership and stuff (which I probably will still keep) so I could pull a COD in a year or so as I get closer to being eligible.

Today the announcement was made that ARBA approved a COD for chocolates (along with other colors - I posted about it in the rabbitry).

Talk about peace....I'm hugely happy about this. It means someone else has taken up the cause of getting chocolates passed.

My time is done.....

I feel like I'm going to be able to sit back and just love on my bunnies and enjoy them to pieces...

I'm already trying to think of what couples to put together. Chaucer (my chocolate buck) will probably live with Cocoa - she lived with him for a week when I was trying to get her pregnant....they did well together.

Slade - my magpie buck who isn't well marked - may be paired with Maggie - my magpie doe. Then again - I have a couple of other does that might do well with him.

I thought I was going to be able to bring myself to rehome R2D2's daughter - but I was out talking to her today and realized I really want to keep her....so I'll find a nice buck for her.

My hope is to neuter/spay at least one pair per month - maybe two pairs. Then once the does are healed up - they can be put together. I'm going to start putting bucks and does next to each other in the next few weeks - the ones I hope to put together -so they can get acquainted.

I'm really really happy about this....

Peg

It sounds like you're having a really nice time considering what bun will be bonded with what bun...that's so neat!

Are you going to try to keep the big doe herd together?

I think you're on an awesome new path in life. And you're right, it's the end of one section of your life, and the beginning of another. :)

I'm really happy Saphira's okay...and I'm happy you're so ready for this new start!

:hug:

I hope to update this blog tomorrow with more pictures/videos of the babies. They're 6 days old (WOW)....hard to believe. Well - that is - they will be 6 days old (four of them in a few hours - and the other four in about 18 hours).

I still believe one is a peanut - maybe two - and that is just tearing me apart. I'm hoping I'm wrong - I'm hoping its going to have a big growth spurt and catch up. If it makes it until I do pictures/videos tomorrow - I will try to do a special section on it - and if it survives - I'm guessing it will have an awesome mane...

Anyway - just wanted to let y'all know I hadn't forgotten this thread.

Peg

Peg, have you ever considered writing stories about yourself? Like a biography? I would honestly pay like $50 to read it. You are someone who amazes me so much and I think that you are a big part of this forum and the way I shape my opinion about anyone who handles bunnies.

:hug:Love ya, Babe!

tundrakatiebean wrote:
Peg, have you ever considered writing stories about yourself? Like a biography? I would honestly pay like $50 to read it. You are someone who amazes me so much and I think that you are a big part of this forum and the way I shape my opinion about anyone who handles bunnies.

:hug:Love ya, Babe!

Me? I've had such a BORING life....spent most of my adult years as a stay at home wife/mom and homeschooled our kids. Probably one of the most exciting things I've ever done....was on my 40th birthday when we were driving back down the AlCan to move to Maryland....and we spent my birthday at the West Edmonton mall. We'd spent a day there on the way up the AlCan 4 years before - but I timed it so we'd have the day AND the money to do old-time photos there (and go to the water park).

Here are copies of the photos - just scanned them tonight...(click on them to see them close up)

Then again...there is the time when we were living in Alaska and I called Uhaul to rent a truck (to move to Maryland - but we didn't know for sure where we were moving) and I said I knew the approximate date ....just wasn't sure if we needed it for Maryland or Florida...and they wouldn't rent me the truck...

So maybe my life has been interesting....

However, I am working on a "book" per se (and not my novel).

Robin has convinced me to use LuLu.com (or something like that) to do a story about Tiny's life. I can do a 100 page book with color photos (on almost every page) for about $20 hardcover (my cost)...and to download it would be about $5 to read it off the computer. The nice thing about it is I could just get one printed and have it be mine....

If I do this (well - when I do it - I am doing it) - I may do a webpage dedicated to Tiny where folks can download it - and then the $$ raised by it - will go to help other rabbits.

But that is probably 6 months or so into the future...I need to finish going through all the photos and blogs and make a list of what I want to cover in the book...

Anyway - thanks for the compliment - I'm glad you enjoy my writing!

Peg

All 8 babies are still alive....I don't know what to think about the smallest two. If they make it - they should have awesome manes on the tops of their heads...

I am seriously considering taking the three boys (Ziggy, Piggie & Al) to the feed store this coming week. Its really really tough - but they are at a really good age to go to their new homes and bond with the people.

IF I do this - I'm going to get photos of each of them first....

I hate it when it comes time to say goodbye to my babies. Part of me wants to keep Piggie - but I really think he would be happier in a pet home....

As a side note, Miss Bea came to me today for pets. I spent about 30 minutes petting her off and on and every time I stopped - she'd come a bit closer to me and lightly nudge me. She is SOOOO lonely and wants to be groomed so much.

I am really hoping she will take to Zeus....and he will take to her.

Peg

I wish Ziggy the best as the others. I wish things were different because I would take him in a heartbeat. As you know though it is hard to divide time when you have so many and you are working more so when your work is not at home.

JadeIcing wrote:
I wish Ziggy the best as the others. I wish things were different because I would take him in a heartbeat. As you know though it is hard to divide time when you have so many and you are working more so when your work is not at home.
Oh that's fine - I understand.

For those who are wondering - I had contacted Ali about him since she liked him so much....I don't normally do that but I didn't want to rehome him and then have her say, "oh...I really wanted him if you weren't going to use him for breeding...".

I'm sure they'll all get good homes..

Peg

Here are some pics of the Valentine's Day litter - I took some video today too that I'll share later..

Peanut

Unnamed black baby

Taylor

Bandita

Giving breeder mama the butt

Another butt shot - from Val

I don't know why this one struck me as being so funny - butt to butt....then face to butt?

Splash

Taylor again I think...

More baby butt

Valerie

Splash

Splash and Bandita (not sure which is which from this shot)

I wanted to show the size difference between Peanut and the normal size lionheads - I think this is Splash

Peg

I almost died when I had to give my four babies away. They were scared and clinging to me and yes, they were shivering. And how I loved them! The two boys were both black, one with a white nose. Pepper and Jasper.The girls were one toffee colored and the other black.Starry and Inky.

I still think of them and pray they are healthy and happy and have all the toys and food they love.

I bought them toys and food and the biggest cages when they left. The boys went to one home and the two girls to another.

It almost felt like I was giving away my own babies. But it was time. I kept them as long as I could. Well past 10 weeks for the girls.

awwwww is there anything cuter than baby buns??

Latest posts

Back