Waste Management

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojay

Reaction score
I have a small rabbitry by many standards (about 15) but I'm still having trouble managing my waste. 

I've been using wood pellets in my trays and I also use hay, especially in the winter.  I've been tilling a lot of it into my gardens but the sawdust and hay is beginning to add up.  Last year was great but this year things are getting out of hand and I'm running out of places to put it.

I'd love to hear what others are doing with their rabbitry waste.

ohh i dont have a rabbitry, but i use recycled paper litter for my buns, and i just throw mine in my garden and dig it in and just keep on doing it that way, but i must say that my garden has improved heaps, the garden is soo soft now and much easier to dig in, recycled litter is a great mulch :D

cheryl

I put it in those black lawn and leaf trash bags and put it in our regular trash... This way, no one knows what it is.  My town won't take it with the leaves.

Sharon

I don't use any shavings in my drop pans. It started getting too expensive! I used to load the feeces up in trash bags till my aunt grumbled. She didn't like the fact I was throwing away GREAT fertilizer. So now I load it up in tubs and transport it to my aunts house about 6 miles up the road.

Maybe if you don't use shavings/hay or what not you might be able to 'give' your neighbors free fertilizer. Here shortly neighbors are going to start asking for some 'poop' so I'll have to split it up so everyone gets some 'poop'.

Also, if you are using metal drop pans... keep with using shavings as it helps absorb the urine in return saving your pans.  But if you're using plastic pans, The Works toliet bowl cleaner does wonders!  Every other time I clean pans they get cleaned with The Works. I've had these same pans for a good 5 or 6 years and after a dosage of The Works they look brand new. :D

I don't breed rabbits, but I have 3. Every week I take a bag of poop and litter to my parents who use it for compost in the garden. Try to find someone who will recycle it like that and save some landfill space :D.

P.S. Their tomatos were HUGE last summer.

I've seen auctions on ebay selling rabbit manure.  I know it's great stuff for the garden.  My issue is with the wood pellets, feed and hay mixed in with the manure. 

I don't use shavings, I use wood pellets similar to woody pet.  They are far superior to pine shavings. 

I'm going to try to compost the stuff and construct a bin of some sort.  I've got some metal pans and some plastic.  I will replace the metal pans with plastic when the time comes.

I've been using straight vinegar and a scrub brush on my pans and get them very clean.  Thanks for the tip on THE WORKS.

Would you still be able to use the poo for gardening after using The Works on the trays, though? I would think the chemical in there would be bad for the plants/soil.

Here's a good site about Composting.  It's for Air Force personnel, but it has good information. 

http://iisafcee01.brooks.af.mil/pro-act/fact/comp.asp

Here's an excerpt:

Key Elements

Whether composting occurs quickly or slowly depends on several factors including the structure and process utilized. A compost pile should be constructed of loosely stacked layers. The bottom layer should consist of coarse/bulky material, the next layer of organic matter high in carbon, then a layer of organic matter high in nitrogen, and finally a thin layer of rich garden soil or finished compost material to introduce microorganisms. As each layer is placed down, water may be added and the layers should be mixed to increase uniformity and decay mechanism interaction.

The utilization of a particular process depends on the quantities of available organic matter, local climatic conditions, and time and money. The bin, open pile, and wind row are three basic processes used for aerobic decomposition.

You know, this is probably a silly idea, but--would it be possible to market it as organic fertilizer and ask, say, ten bucks a truckload or something for it? That is what organic fertilizer is, isn't it? Manure? I am all about finding more ways to make cash, LOL.

As well as being a good activator for compost bins it is apparently a great food for pond fish! I heard it on TV program where fish keepers/breeders give you household tips for saving money and caring for your fish - each week it's on a different topic like cleaning, camping, gardening etc. :)

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but I use wood pellets in my rabbit's (only one) litter box. I just take the pellets and throw them, poop and all, into the wood stove (not a pellet stove). Even with the poop and some urine, they still burn like crazy.
If you have a wood stove, then burning them is definitely an option. If you don't have a wood stove, then maybe use a outdoor fire pit or something similar. These pellets burn incredibly hot so you may as well put them to use.
I would not put them in the garden/compost, because, from what I understand sawdust (which is what they are) takes too long to break down and requires a lot nitrogen. I would assume that, for similar reasons,  they will remain in landfills for long periods as well. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Sean

I live smack dab in the middle of my town with about 20 holes so I have to really watch manure pile up. We use dropping pans so manure goes right from pans into large black garbage bages that we take to the county grass, sticks, and dirt dump. They usually don't even charge us. We clean once a week winter and summer, but in the summer we spray out the pans and use barn lime to keep the smell down. So far no complaints from neighbors!

Julia

I get all the manure (wet and droppings) and put them around our flowers and trees. It's an excellent fertilizer. I have17 rabbits. I know wht you feel like! ;)

flemishr2cool wrote:
I live smack dab in the middle of my town  -- Julia

We're also in the center of town -- right in the business district --and at times have up to 150 rabbits.  I'm lucky to have enough room to spread it around ;)

Pam

I use wood shavings in my bunnies litter and hutches, on top of newspaper.  When I clean them out I put the old wood shavings and poop into our compost heep and put the newspaper in a black bin bag for the rubbish.  I usually use about 2 big black bags every week, so my dad has to make a trip to the tip usually! 

And I only have two bunnies and 2 guinea pigs!

I can just imagine the amount of waste that you must have! :shock2:

Right now the poops and litter get thrown away, but pretty soon I'm going to start composting them :)

Linz_1987 wrote:
I use wood shavings in my bunnies litter and hutches, on top of newspaper.  When I clean them out I put the old wood shavings and poop into our compost heep and put the newspaper in a black bin bag for the rubbish.  I usually use about 2 big black bags every week, so my dad has to make a trip to the tip usually!

And I only have two bunnies and 2 guinea pigs!

I can just imagine the amount of waste that you must have! :shock2:

1/3 of the cages are cleaned each day, generating up to 1 large wheelbarrow full of waste daily (I use wood shavings).

Pam

I'm also in the middle of the city.  I used to dump it into the regular trash until the waste company gave me a call stating that the proper form of disposal would be to put it in the separate Yard waste can... since it is compostable material that would be a great additive for their mulch.

So now it goes in the Yard Waste can and gets picked up every Thursday.  Trays are dumped on Wednesdays prior to pick up, so the waste doesn't fester in the can for too long (cuts down on fly population).

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back