Washing Veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz

Reaction score
To wash my (well actually the buns' veggies) I always put them in a strainer and rinse them real good.

What do you do? I'm curious to know what others do. :D

Depends on the veggie. Either rinse them with running water, soak them in salt water or scrub them with a scrubber under running water.

okiron wrote:
Depends on the veggie. Either rinse them with running water, soak them in salt water or scrub them with a scrubber under running water.
I'm interested in why too the salt water ?
I rinse my veggies in a strainer for a very long time becauseI do not buy organic and I know that this stuff is sprayed :(
after it is rinsed I dry it in papertowels and feedthem and then take the remaining veggies and wrapthem in fresh papertowels and place in a zip-loc bag for tomorrow.

I wear gloves and rinse them off really well. Especially with kale as their can be a lot of dirt at the bottom stem.

Angieluv does putting them in papertowels them ziplock bacgs help keep them fresh?

Susan:)

Malexis wrote:
which veggies would you soak in salt water? and why? never heard of that.
Lol mostly lettuce but just to remove any loose dirt and bugs. Sure, I guess I could just soak it in regular water but everyone in my family puts salt in it so I kinda just do it out of habit.

Unfortunately, washing with only water won't remove accumulated pesticides from your fresh produce. Many commercial pesticides are fat-soluble (dissolve only in fatty compounds) so that they are not washed off the produce by rain in the fields...

Apart from washing the veg with another fatty/lipidose compound (like soap), you can't really remove residual pesticides. Even then, soap can only go so far...

Here are some tips to minimize pesticide ingestion:

Ways to reduce exposure
To reduce your exposure to pesticides and other chemicals:
  • Thoroughly wash all fruits and vegetables.
  • Buy organic produce.
  • Grow your own vegetables.
  • Peel vegetables or remove the outer layer of leaves.
  • http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/BHCV2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Food_pesticides_and_other_chemicals?open
*** I guess that would explain why supermarkets are happy to give us their outer leaves... look ugly, and likely carry some level of contaminant

Keep in mind, though, that many wild animals have toxins from pesticide stored in their fatty tissues.... almost all creatures do now. Pesticide application done in 1st word countries is generally set at an acceptable level for human consumption without outstanding negative effect.

I wash everything under running water.

I buy a week's worth of veggies at once, and wash it all at once, usually Saturday night. It usually takes me 20-40 minutes. There are always new, fresh veggies for the bunnies on Sunday morning.

As I'm washing the veg, I also pick out bad leaves. Anything that looks like it is good now but might not last too long (lettuce leaves where the tie bruised them, etc) get rinsed and seperated out, I will feed those to my tortoise. (My bunnies have been known to refuse the sub-standard veg. So spoiled!)

I buy organic dandelions, so those get a quick rinse, just to get any dirt off. The rest is not organic, so will be rinsed longer. Parsley and cilantro get very gently "squeezed" to make sure I can get all the dirt off.

Has anyone ever tried a commercial veggie wash? I don't know of any brands specifically, but I have seen these in the local grocery.

I use the Ziploc veggie bags or those "green" bags to help keep my veggies fresh. I wash everything in a sink ful of water the day it is purchased and spin it dry (or mostly dry) with a salad spinner. If the produce is reasonably fresh and not bruised when I buy it, these bags will keep most varieties of produce fresh for a week.

SOOOSKA wrote:
I wear gloves and rinse them off really well. Especially with kale as their can be a lot of dirt at the bottom stem.

Angieluv does putting them in papertowels them ziplock bacgs help keep them fresh?

Susan:)

yes Susan it helps

but if I don't use them the next dayI will change the papertowels in the bag...

cilantro is the first one to go if not used quickly

Cilantro might go a bit further if you wash it off, then take it and put it in a jar/vase like you would flowers - I've kept mine that way for days, just removing the slimey bits that tend to accumulate at the point where the stems/leaves are submerged in the water. Cilantro is one of my buns favorite..actually, I use it instead of lettuce and tons in my salsa...so it's a toss-up who gets the last bunch around here, lol.

Just wanted to mention that I considered using a salad spinner but then I realized I was wasting good water the bunnies need from their veggies. I soak mine in water and rinse them well, wash them off a few times then give them to the bunnies wet.

I also put my extras in a plastic bag with a paper towel, which tends to soak up some moisture and keep them fresh in the fridge :)

I store my washed veggies in a Lock & Lock container. It has a tight silicone seal to keep air out. I've had veggies last 5-9 days in them. If the stuff is fresh going in, it will last me all week. Even cilantro. :D

Does soaking veggies in water help clean them? I've thought about (and seen others) do this but I wasn't sure if that was better then rinsing or what. :p

I got those green bags for my birthday last year. I think they do work but you have to have the veggies dry to have them work!

I organic veggies for my bunnies because they aren't that expensive at my supermarket, of course I rinse then off at well. Also I grow my own lettuce indoors for them in my AeroGarden, hopefully I can start harvesting soon.

I never have washed their veggies before; I think maybe a few times. I wash the apples before cutting them up, but not the carrots or lettuce or anything else.

Of course, now that we're growing our own veggies, we'll wash them, since they wont be pre-washed ;)
We'll probably just put them in a strainer and rinse them real good; but scrub the dirt off the carrots.

Emily

I have never washed my veggies either, I think they come pre-washed because they are never dirty really. I never thought to wash them but maybe I should. We are growing alot of veggies this year, some the bunnies can eat. So at least I'll know that that is safe.

I sometimes buy lettuces whole when I can get to my fave produce store. When I can't or the romaine (my buns' main veggie) isn't fresh then I'll buy romaine hearts in sealed bags. Like foxy brand. The hearts are pricey but generally in good shape and require little washing. Usually a quick rinse will do. My other main green is parsley. Italian is easier to rinse and sorta gently rub down with bare hands. Curly is trickier.

I usually do 4 days' worth of salads and store them already washed and made into bite size pieces on top of a piece of paper towel inside of an airtight plastic Tupperware. So I my fridge there could be 8 plastic buckets of bun greens, 2 per day. It works well. Takes about an hour to do every 4 days.

I think they keep so long even though I washed them because I spin them all dry. Before serving I pull out the paper towel and soak the greens in the plastic Tupperware for a few minutes reabsorb some moisture in the leaves. My Kirby does not drink much water so his main source of water is greens. He also licks excess water off the botom of the plate.

Latest posts

Back