was given a sick rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoxFire

Reaction score
i was given a small white female(i think?) rabbit and she has a horrible sound coming from her, when she breaths it sounds like ,, well hard to describe really. something in her lungs... she's also obscenely thin.... i am convinced she has pneumonia and most definately some other problem.. but havent scene any mucus around her nose or eyes.
i know what i have to do, but the vet is closed right now, and the Evet is going to cost $100 to take her right now, and i cant even do that because i am home by myself with my two kids.
tomorrow i am making an appointment for her and going to let them decide the best course of action.
i feel so horrible for her.... what are the chances of her even surviving this? i know rabbits can lose weight from any number of things but it seems when you see weight loss its already too late for them - usualy obstruction in the intestines or failure of vital organs.

So sorry, what an awful thing to have to watch and deal with.

Any idea how old she is and if she's spayed? Lately there's been a number of cases on the board of uterine cancer that has spread to the lungs that presented like what you described. :(

If it is an infection, I'm no expert but I'd guess getting her on antibiotics pronto will tell the tale. Is she breathing through her mouth or through her nose?

Hopefully it's something treatable.

sas :pray:

i doubt she's been spayed. she was a yard rabbit.. i'm not sure if she's tame or if she is really just that sick. she let me pick her up... which i did very quickly when i heard the rattle in her chest... my healthy rabbits wouldnt tolerate being picked up so quickly, but she let me do it.. she is quite small though, but honestly that is probably due to her being emaciated.. but if i had to guess her age i would say under a year old.
and from what i could tell she is breathing through her nose.. i didnt think to look, but i am going back out there after i send this.
and she was eating, seemingly ok. a moment ago i gave everyone apple skins (rare treat) and she ate them, but it appeared that she wasnt so enthusiastic about it.. but it was green apple skins - maybe she doesnt like the taste since its bitter?
everyone else loves them however.
i hope its not uterine cancer!! and i really am praying its something that can be easily fixed :X

I would suspect a respiratory infection. She is probably a young bun that someone no longer wanted after the initial 'craze' wore off.

I do not know if thisis something others dobut I did do it for Wiggles... If you have a oil burner around, get some PURE natural eucalyptus oil and burn it closeby. Not too close because it might be too strong. It's like us using Vicks... We did this for other animals at the pet store and I also did it myself for Wiggles and a kitten I had found. I have found it helpful and had no problems but I am hoping someone else could back me up on this.

You'll also want to keep her warm and hydrated. If you can't get her to eat, you should try syringe feeding her and maybe get some baby food. Try getting her to eat hay or greens. Carrot tops would be pretty good as most buns love them. Try to avoid anything sugary because she is probably extra sensitive and you wouldn't want her to have diarrhea on top of everythin.

I hope the vet trip goes well tomorrow.

k upon closer inspection.... she has turned out to be a he :?
given where he is from - yard rabbit living with other males possibly? do you think that could be why he is so thin? i know that doesnt account for the lung infection, but i am going to look into the eucalyptus oil. any ideas where to get any? i have only seen eucalyptus leaves used as orniments... but i know of a couple of trees - though they arent close by at all. one is an hour from me, and the other is almost three hours away:grumpy:
or is this something i can get from a store like walmart?
as for feeding, i have carrots but none with the green tops. i do have some celery though, with the leaves still attached. vegitables right now are limited except what is frozen... sweet peas, lima beans, spinach, green beans.... and i dont think i have any brocoli. but i am pretty sure i read all of that on the do not feed list....

I buy mine in those "natural/herbal" stores.You can probably find it in the pharmacy also. I would really like someone to back me up on this though because even though I never had a problem, I don't know if someone could see a potential problem arising from it. :)

That's what happened to Miracle when he was about 4 weeks old. He had wheezing and everything,also knownas snuffles. Butthat is the first stahe of snuffles.If you leave it like this,itcan turn worse where it will have discharge from the nose,I suggest you take it to the vet like right now if not it will possibly die if you don't get it for some treatment right away.

And if you can't bring it to the vet the I would also suggest bring back the bunny where you have gotten it from.

Good Luck!

Poor little guy.

Can you post your location in your profile? It will help us give you better advice on meds and where to find certain things. Thanks!

For now, do you have a vaporizer/steamer? I used a cheap vicks vaporizer with the vicks vaposteam that goes with it when my boy had a respiratory infection. It was great.

I'd get him in tomorrow to get him some antibiotics asap. Also, is he eating now? You'll want to work on getting some weight back on him which will help.

I'll say a prayer for the little guy :pray:

he was eating when my husband last checked on him - ihave to split my time between the bunny and my son at the moment -
i think i still have a vaporizer, if not then my mom might - she lives next door.
if that doesnt work then i'll just put him the kitched and put the kettle on to boil. should create some steam.

i also wanted to say i cant give him back as he was unwanted... seems thats always the way it goes when they get sick....

Oh I suggest bring him to the vet,because the stuff that you might try to use will not work and what it sounds like it isn't really good to play around with that.

Poor guy :(Sick and abandoned. Hes lucky youre caring for him.

Another idea is to turn the shower on and let the bathroom steam up, then take him in and sit with him so he can breathe in some of that steam. Should help until you can get him to the vet tomorrow.

If the breathing is really bad, you should ask your vet about nebulizing. I did this for my boy Max. Some pharmacies will allow you to rent a nebulizer for a week or so.

Heres a greatinfo on respiratory infections/nebulizing. You have to be aggressive with treatment since they can get very bad very quickly. Check out the bottom of the page for a pic:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16807&forum_id=10

Latest posts

Back