Warning Signs With Vet's and Teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strings393

Jamie & Mat
Reaction score
So yesterday I had an incident with one of my Rabbits:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/help-78351/

To make a long story short, my Rabbit bent his tooth forward. Today we are going to the vet. However, my usual Rabbit friendly vet isn't in today at the practice we go to. There is another "exotic pet" vet in today. I'm very apprehensive because I don't know his experience with specifically rabbits. However, I don't want to wait until Monday to see my usual vet.

I'm not very familiar with Rabbit's and their teeth. Is there anything I shouldn't let the vet do? Or any signs that he isn't good with Rabbits that I should look out for? Anything I should look out for with a tooth related injury?

I'd call the vet and ask a couple key questions (assuming you haven't asked them already) - first, how often this other vet sees/treats rabbits (and if he's experienced with tooth issues in rabbits) and secondly (and most importantly) whether your usual vet will be reachable by phone during your visit in case the other exotics vet needs/wants to consult with them about something. Being able to consult with the vet you already know and trust with your rabbits can make a big difference (especially since they work in the same clinic and presumably know each other already, making it easier to explain/clarify things over the phone).

As far as things to ask or watch for, I don't know about tooth-specific stuff but I'm guessing there's a really good chance of antibiotics being given in this situation - I recommend reviewing or maybe even printing out the information on this site about rabbit-safe antibiotics.

Best of luck to Roo, I hope they can get him all fixed up easily!

I'd call the vet and ask a couple key questions (assuming you haven't asked them already) - first, how often this other vet sees/treats rabbits (and if he's experienced with tooth issues in rabbits) and secondly (and most importantly) whether your usual vet will be reachable by phone during your visit in case the other exotics vet needs/wants to consult with them about something. Being able to consult with the vet you already know and trust with your rabbits can make a big difference (especially since they work in the same clinic and presumably know each other already, making it easier to explain/clarify things over the phone).

As far as things to ask or watch for, I don't know about tooth-specific stuff but I'm guessing there's a really good chance of antibiotics being given in this situation - I recommend reviewing or maybe even printing out the information on this site about rabbit-safe antibiotics.

Best of luck to Roo, I hope they can get him all fixed up easily!

Haha You're always coming to my rescue! Yes I believe my other vet will be reachable by phone.

Latest posts

Back