Warning: Anyone feeing "Diamond" pet foods?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have had my kitties on Taste Of The Wild cat food for a month now. Now, 2 weeks into the new 15lbs bag both of my cats are noticeably skinny and have diarrhea. I posted on the cat forum through the rat forum and got a response with this....

http://itchmoforums.com/your-problems-with-pet-food/diamond-natural-cat-food-t8894.0.html

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/ar...nd-Pet-Food-have-a-serious-problem/Page1.html

I was told to take my cats off of TOTW immediately and switch to a new brand. For goodness sakes.....we can't even trust Nutro, now I will not trust anything made by Diamond.

I am going to be taking the new bag of cat food back to the grain store and asking for a refund. Throwing away $30 for 15lbs of cat food is not something that is going to make me very happy after this.

I didn't know TOTW was made by Diamond. I have had my cats on it for awhile. My oldest male has been dropping weight like crazy. I didn't think of the food because everyone looks great. I have had extensive lab work on Cougar, x rays, ultra sound, etc. Besides weight loss there is nothing we can really pin point. He just hasn't been himself lately.

werecatrising wrote:
I didn't know TOTW was made by Diamond. I have had my cats on it for awhile. My oldest male has been dropping weight like crazy. I didn't think of the food because everyone looks great. I have had extensive lab work on Cougar, x rays, ultra sound, etc. Besides weight loss there is nothing we can really pin point. He just hasn't been himself lately.

When did the weight loss start?

I posted on www.thecatsite.com in the nutrition section....do you think you could join and post there, too? Some members don't seem to be taking me seriously and don't see the issue :(.

He has been losing weight over the past year or so. It just got more dramatic over the past few months. He does have other issues. He has severe arthritis pretty much everywhere. I attributed the change is body condition to muscle wasting for awhile. I feed my cats mostly wet. They get the canned eagle pack holistic in the morning and at night. I usually give them a bit of the TOTW wild dry with it. Cougar stays separate from the other cats during the day. I leave the dry for him to free feed. He eats ravenously and is still thin. The vomiting started over the past few weeks. Then one morning last week I found him in the "death crouch". He was responsive, but cold and very subdued. It was that day that we did a work up. My dr has even been consulting with an internist at Idexx.

Afew years ago we were carrying waltham. We had 3 dogs poisoned(one being the dr's) from their feed. They swore up and down it had been tested and was fine. It wasn't until we sent it to an independent lad that we found the truth. Needless to say, I am hypersensitive when it comes to food scares.

I'll check that forum out later when I have time to register to post.

So it is probably just other health issues, more over the TOTW? I am sorry to hear he is so sick :(.

I wish I could feed raw...but I don't think I can handle it! I was asking if I could just feed wet food instead of dry...but I think my food bill for the cats alone would go up to $60 from $30. I also feed a small dog, 3 house rabbits, and 9 rats...and ourselves!

werecatrising wrote:
That's the thin, I don't know. I'd like to think it is the food since that would be easier to fix. The arthritis alone shouldn't cause the weight loss.
A bit off topic.. but, have you had his blood glucose levels tested? He sounds like a diabetic cat. Our Molly(11) started losing weight for no reason, even when we continued to feed the same amount we always had. It turned out she had diabetes(a blessing and a curse considered the other likely cause was kidney failure). We've had her on a special diet for two weeks now and her glucose levels are nearly normal. It's worth checking out :)

I feed my dog Evo, which is supposed to be a good dog food. :)

Evo also makes cat food and it says on the site below that it's a good food. There's a list of other foods on there too.
http://cats.about.com/od/dryfood/tp/premdrycatfood.htm

Maybe one of those would be better? I really don't know anything about cat nutrition except that they are carnivores where as dogs are omnivores.

Sorry to hear the foods not working out! :(

I feed my dog EVO, as well. I liked it so much that I tried it with the kitties and they got such terrible poopy butt...even after switching slowly. Unfortunately, a lot of cats can't handle how rich EVO is.

Have you tried Orijen or Acana? Both are made by the same company. Orijen is higher in protein than Acana. The Acana has a grain free line. I am not sure about the cat formulas, but the dog stuff is good. It is made in Canada.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Have you tried Orijen or Acana? Both are made by the same company. Orijen is higher in protein than Acana. The Acana has a grain free line. I am not sure about the cat formulas, but the dog stuff is good. It is made in Canada.
Not sure if you are talking to me or not....but I can't get their of those foods around here :(.

I wish I could do a raw diet...but I don't think I can handle the "ickiness" factor. I think I almost have it figured out with wet foods. I am currently doing an "all wet food diet", which is supposed to be better then dry foods...but not as good as raw, obviously.

With wet foods you can rotate flavors and brands daily (even twice a day!), without stomach upsets. This is what I have been told on the cat forum. You can also budget it so that you are feeding mostly high quality, but a few meals can consist of cans of lesser quality (like Authority, Meow Mix with no b-products, etc).

I think I can feed an all wet diet to 2 cats for around $40 per month, if I budget and pick up multiple cans when they are on sale. When not on sale...I will need to stick to around .75 cents per 6oz can or $1.50 per 13 oz. can...cats are supposed to get 6oz of wet per day (if it is their only diet)...but of course, all cats differ.

Back