Warding of Mosquitoes/Myxomatosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HayHey0248

BunMum
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :rabbithop

I know plenty of us, (especially in Australia) can get worried about mostiques and other critters getting to our buns, or even worse yet infecting them with myxomatosis. Since we cant get the vaccine for it in Australia, im always wary and am trying to find ways to make sure no mosquitoes get to my bun. So I thought I would just share one of the 'tips' or things that I do, to slightly lower the risks.

In my garden and around the rabbit area I have planted a Mosquito Plant, or otherwise know as Citronella. It has a scent, even stronger when crushed, that repels mosquitoes. Although it doesn't 100% deter them, anything that works a little in a situation that can cause death is good. ::expressionless
You can even rub it on yourself and it acts as a natural repellant. :biggrin: The smell is quite nice too .

There are also other plants the can help with this too such as Marigolds (rabbits can eat this one, also good for protecting tomatoes), Horsemint, Nepeta cateria (Catnip) and Ageratum (this one however you should not rub onto skin). They are all relatively easy to grow too, some like sun more than others so you should be able to find one that suits your garden.
I have all these apart from CatNip and HorseMint, but hopefully I can find some soon.

I hope that I have maybe helped you in someway. Any more tips would be appreciated too! :D:balloons:

Latest posts

Back