Want to get second bunny, need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtiz

Boo's Mom
Reaction score
Hi, we were thinking about getting a second bunny. Right now we have a neutered male mini Rex. Which would be the easiest to introduce to him; male or female? Thanks for any advice.
:bunnieskiss

Definitely a spayed female would be the easiest to bond with him. Sometimes male/male pairings get along, but your chances are better with a female.

I would suggest going to your local shelter, along with Mini Rex, and have a few bunny dates with some potential girlfriends. They will likely be spayed already and they are after all homeless and in need of a forever home. So win-win!

I agree with steves-mum, shelters are a wonderful place to get bunnies. As the others have said, female and male bondings are easiest.

Goodluck :) Keep us updated

Male and female combos are easier but male male and female female can be done :) most of my pairs are female female.

One or both need to be neutered/sprayed in order to be able to bond (I have done unsprayed bonding with females)

It is best to try a shelter as you can have bunny dates and see if they get along they also usually come neutered or sprayed :) also by adopting you Eliminate the chance of that rabbit being killed :(

When I buy/adopt a new animals and plan on bonding it to one of my current rabbits I hold it off for a little while and bond with just that new rabbit until I have bonded with it and then I will proceed with bonding the two rabbits as if you bond the rabbits but don't have just bonding time with the new rabbit it can become hostile and won't really want you to touch it as I have found it is easier to bond with a rabbit that doesn't have a friend then a rabbit who has bonded with another rabbit.

Hope all goes well and if you do get another bunny just remember we all want photos! And good luck with your decision and your new bunny once you get him/her :) always here if you need help!

Thanks for the advice. Now we just need to find a shelter in our area. The sites we looked at last night had some, but they were a good drive. In no rush, we want to do the right.

I also agree with Stevesmum. Take him to the shelter and see if he hits it off with any of the buns there!! Otherwise it's a long and bumpy road of bonding if they aren't too keen with each other from the get-go.

Latest posts

Back