Want to get into rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

va_rabbit

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We are looking into getting a rabbit for the kids(for us too :))at home and would like to get some directions and help fromthe board before we dive into it.

I have read some of the threads on this board and have learned fewthings already. What we need to know is where to get thebunny. We are looking for the white ones. Are thereany special things that we need to watch for and price wise, what arethey usually runs?

Thanks in advance,

John

Hello John,

White ones leaves the choice wide open as ALL the breeds come in white.Perhaps you might think about attending a rabbit show as a spectator.Just to get a look at all of the breeds and array of colors available.I would suggest that you make you purchase from a reputable breeder.You will then know exactly what you are getting and be privy to anyexplainations or help you might need from the horses mouth. I would notpurchase in haste, one man's Rose is another Man's Daisy. I wouldsuggest Satins, naturally because that is the breed I have chosen. Onemust fist decide what they want the rabbits for. Simply a Pet, toeventuaslly show, or to put meat on the table. Rabbits can be used forany or all three. The choice is yours. Read all you can, check outwebsites and speak to as many reputable breeders as you can beforemaking your final decision. I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R. http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley:)

Pet quality bunnies usually 10 to 15 dollars.Itwould help if you know do you want a large or small rabbit.polish up to3 1/2lbs,Netherland Dwarf,Up to2 1/2lbs,minirex 4lbs,dutch 5 lbs,minilop6 lbs,holland lop up to 4 lbs.new zealand up to12 lbs.flemish giant 14 lbs or over.french lops 11lbs or over.These aresome of the popular breeds you will see at shows.bluebird

Welcome John!

Why don't you start by viewing the different types of breeds, you cansee them inhttp://www.arba.net/photo.htmAfter you get an idea of one that you like, you can look further intothat breed and see how big/small they get and be able to get the propersize cage for them, etc. Keep in mindthat there are many mixed breeds out there as well that areadorable.

You might check out your local animal shelter as there are many EasterBunny's being tossed into them by now since the novelty of Easter hasworn off and the work begins. It's a great way to save arabbit's life and your home sounds like it would provide a perfectenvironment. You may even find a rabbit that's alreadyspayed/neutered in there as well. BunnyMommy on this boardhas a lovely white rabbit she adopted from a shelter. He's abeauty!

Let us know how your search goes.

-Carolyn

Hi John,

If the rabbit isn't spayed/neutered, many shelters will give you a discount on the operation.

Check out Sherman, BunnyMommy's rabbit.

-Carolyn

adopt.GIF

Latest posts

Back