Want to build a new cage...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaylaLop

Reaction score
So after I move, I want to build a new cage for Layla and Mumford. I made a grotto style cage for my rats a long time ago, but was almost thinking of something like that (but with better ventilation and more floor surface area) for them. 2-3 stories, ramps, linoleum flooring, and a front hinged door for ease of cleaning. And a ground floor with an exercise pen around the front for daily running around time. With my rats I had plexi-glass 4" tall on the front of each shelf in a u-channel to keep them from being able to fall out if the doors were open, or the poop to fall out the front. I'm trying to think of how to design it and any help/input would be ideal!

In my mind it'd be kind of like a Leith Petwerks condo, but not permanently carpet so in case they have accidents it doesn't ruin it. I'd do linoleum and then have carpet remnants for traction. Also, the front doors would be like french doors so I could access and easily clean every inch of it. The x-pen I'm using now works ok, but all their stray poops end up out on the floor and they always want to be up higher in the cage, so I'm thinking they'd love a level cage where they could "watch the world" from the top story.

I may try to draw up some rough sketches of it. Not sure yet.. still just an idea. I've seen cages similar but nothing quite like what I really want. Hm.. time to be creative I guess!

Sounds really interesting. As creative as you have been for Layla and Mumford with your x-pen, I can't wait to see what you come up with this design.

Hope you share! Would love to see what youhave in mind for your sweeties.

K:)

And if I have a yard that is untreated where I move, I'll probably be building an A-frame type exercise pen so they can spend some time outside with me on nice days. I built one before for my rabbits with PVC and chicken wire and had a 2x3" wire on the bottom so there could be no digging out but still let in plenty of grass. Buuut that would be much later and dependent on climate/the yard.

I'll try to come up with a rough sketch (and when I say rough, I mean it) of what I'm trying to convey. I don't think I even know what I want quite yet :p

That's really nice! Understand where you are going. Definitely post your plans!

Wishing you luck with it.

K:)

Back