Wally isn't to well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheryl

Reaction score
Well my little Wally isn't to well at the moment....he hadn't eaten since around 9:00pm last night....i spent most of my night massaging his tummy and giving him a few doses of infacol(simethicone) over a few hours....he wouldn't drink any water...i tried syringing him some water but he just let it dribble out of his mouth....he wouldn't touch the baby food i tried to syringe him either....i thought he would be feeling better by morning but he was still the same....his stomache was so quiet...the only noise i could hear was his little heart beating so fast because he hates to be picked up.

I was starting to worry about GI Stasis....i have been through that with Chocolate Bunny, Cassidy and Sunshinea while ago and it's a scarey thing to watch them suffer like that.

So it was of to the vet....Dr Lee wasn't in today so i had to see another Dr i had not seen before...he was very nice...Dr Rod checked Wally all over...Wally weighs 2.2kg..so he's been treated with having Stasis at the moment...but he said that there has to be an underlying problem though to have brought this on....the only thing i can think of is that Wally has started chewing the wall which is plasterboard,he was fine yesterday morning.

The Dr gave him a shot of Metoclopromide...he didn't give him a shot of sub Q's because he said they can actually cause more damage and just felt it was better to keep trying to syringe him water...i cannot remember exactly what he said but he said something about that they can cause abscess's,i remember another vet telling me the same thing with Pippi.

Wally still hasn't eaten yet...i just hate this!!

A worried bunny mum

:pray:

Hi Cheryl,

Is there any way you can get to your regular vet or find a real rabbit vet? I only have one thing to say about metoclopramide.....very scary. The absolute first thing to do in a stasis situation is to hit hard with fluids. An x-ray should be performed to see if there is an impaction. Most of the time these impactions are something the rabbit ate when they shouldn't have. The root cause should be investigated and fixed. If it is an impaction of material like this, it becomes dry and compacted and actually pulls hydration from the intestines which makes things worse. I always heavily hydrate with sub-q fluids if it is a confirmed case of impaction. It is possible that something like a tumor could be restricting the GI tract and some rads will show that.

I do agree that this is most likely a secondary issue. Unless it is a tumor, this is most likely a symptom rather than a primary issue. Most likely something eaten or not eaten as I mentioned...but it could be a "marker" of most anything....teeth, infection even diet.

As far as skin abscesses from injections.....I have literally made thousands of injections as I prefer to inject meds. The only time I have had any skin issues is when injecting penicillin. I pretty much corrected that by buffering the drug with the same fluids that would be used to rehydrate. And I never inject in the same place...I try to move around as much as possible.

Best wishes to Wally.

Randy

Thanks guys for the well wishes for Wally.

Randy...When the Dr was checking Wally,he said that he couldn't feel any kind of impaction or anything...but he's not rabbit savvy though...in fact here in Adelaide it's just very hard to find a vet that know's a lot about bunnies...over time i have seen quite a few vets who have really tried to help though...especially when i was going through such a time with Pippi....this is the time when i start worrying like crazy because i know they all don't know a great deal and i worry for my bunnies.

Wally still won't touch anything...i thought by now he would start feeling better at least.

Do you think it could be the plasterboard that he has probably eaten that has made him feel this way? the Dr was saying that if this is caused by the plasterboard that it might be irritating his intestines kinda like sandpaper.....i'm worried now that you have mentioned a tumour...could something like that stop him from eating all of a sudden?....because Wally has been fine up until last night....he's always had a healthy appetite.

The Dr checked his teeth and gums and said that they look fine...but i know with teeth problems..they cannot see everything just by inspecting the teeth.

His temperature was fine also

I'm just worried....because since going to the vet this afternoon...i just expected him to be feeling better by now....but i don't know if i'm just expecting to much to soon.

Cheryl

Wally's bill....i was quite surprised by it....my vet bills are usually over the hundred dollar mark

P4190036.jpg

Hmmm..i just thought i would update on Wally

He now has a bit of mushy poop....i don't know if that could be from the injection he had yesterday....he's still not quite himself....i called the vet to have a word with him but he wants me to bring him back for another injection....i don't want to take him back to this vet as i don't feel very comfortable...he's a nice vet and everything...but..

Hmmm i don't know what to do now as Dr Lee will not be in the surgery until Thursday.

Cheryl

I just thought i would say that i wouldn't normally post about my bunnies having gas,as i usually get past that....but there is something else going on with Wally at the moment and i don't know what.....i just called the Dr again as when i first called him..Wally didn't have a poopy butt then....he is in a consultation at the moment so i have to call back after.

I would really think with the amount of water that buns seem to drink that it would be extremely important to give him SubQ's... Dehydration can cause so many problems and fluids can really help keep whatever the problem is from getting worse (know this from my cats - and they didn't even drink as much water as bunny's).

Sending out positive vibes and have fingers/paws crossed.

Thanks JulieW....I got Wally to drink a good amount of water last night by syringing it to him...but now he won't seem to take much again...when i called the vet this afternoon he told me to give it another 24 hours and then he agreed to give him a sub Q shot....i don't know what else to do....oh i also forgot to say that he did have one little nibble on a tiny bit of hay and then that was it....something is wrong..i know it because he's not himself at the moment...i keep trying to express my concerns to this vet but it seems he has other ideas....i wish Dr Lee was in because he will listen to my concerns....i just don't know if it could have been the plasterboard that has made him sick....the Dr just keeps saying that if it is in fact the plasterboard then i should give it a bit of time to push through itself....really it could be anything wrong with him.

This is just frustrating and i'm doing nothing but worrying....i have called the vet three times already today...i keep asking all these questions.

Cheryl

Bo B....Wally just would not eat....it started friday night when i noticed him acting funny.....when one of my bunnies has had gas before they just sit in that hen like position looking sad...but Wally kept lying on his stomache...and the way he just flopped to the floor and was breathing heavy got me really worried as my other bunnies had never done that before.

He still won't touch any pellets...but the vet told me not to worry about that but keep trying with other stuff like hay and vegies...i tried and tried but he wouldn't touch anything.

When the Dr gave him that injection on Saturday...i went home and syringed him some water....he actually drank some and i kinda got excited until later that evening when i tried again and he would just let it dribble out of his mouth and he still wouldn't eat anything....i was expecting to see some results after visiting with the vet.

Sunday which was yesterday i offered him more vegies....he finally ate just a tiny bit of cos lettuce....i finally thought yes he's starting to eat....but then he wouldn't touch anything again later on....and he still wouldn't touch his pellets.

Around 10:30pm last night he finally drank a bit more water that i had syringed him,but it wasn't much..but at least it was something.

This morning which is monday i tried syringing him more water...and he actually drank about 20mls of it which i was just so happy....but he still won't touch any pellets....and he did actuallyeat a tiny bit of carrot but he left most of it....something is going on with him.

His tummy has been very quiet....it's not making the regular sounds like my other bunnies tummy are making.

I'm just finding this whole situation strange...and i don't know if it's because he's been chewing the wall.....the first time i called the vet yesterday the Dr just told me to give it a day or so....if he's not any better then to bring him back.

He has also been very quiet since friday night....he hasn't been sitting in his usual spot...he's just been sitting under the cupboard.

I took these pictures last night,i was trying to syringe him some water and i have also been trying to give him some nutripet which he despises....my goodness even when he smelled it coming to his mouth he screwed his little mouth up and i could see his teeth...he hates the stuff....he looks a bit messy in the pictures because he was just letting the water dribble from his mouth and the nutripet got onto his fur.

Jeremy got saturated with the water

P4200046-1.jpg

P4200044.jpg

Ohh i forgot to say also.....when i called the vet the second time i asked if the injection he had could have caused a poopy butt...the Dr said no that should not be the reason....so i have no idea what could have caused that :?

I've been trying to think and think....and i've been going through a few older posts on here....if Wally had some kind of GI infection how would the Dr diagnose that...blood test?....when i took Wally to the vet,the Dr had mentioned about antibiotics but said he would hold of withthat for now....i don't know..you know...i just thought it was just something simple like gas...but it's seeming to be something else.....i just want to have a few ideas that i can give the vet for when i take him back....i just don't know what to do at the moment....and i'm sick of going to vets here and not getting the answers i need,i just seem to get the run around all the time,but i also know it's not their fault as well....it fustrates me quite a lot.

I need Dr Lee....but he won't be in the surgery until Thursday

Did they check his teeth at all? When Loki went into stasis it looked really sudden to me but the cause of it all was his overgrown molars. Once they were ground down he started to eat a little, whereas before he would sniff his favorite treats and then turn away.

:pray:

What about Cheerios Bax LOVES them.. I'd just throw every kind of food at him and see if anything sticks.. I know I've read on alot of others peoples strings here that when their bun was sick they would feed them baby food (not sure which brand/flavor - assuming carrot) and this seemed to work a number of times..

Sorry your vet is out til Thursday - any chance of getting him at home? Askhis office if they would give him a call (I've done this before myself), you never know.

I thought maybe it might be his teeth as well...so when i called the vet the third time i asked him could it be his teeth and would an xray on his teeth be a good idea...the Dr said he doesn't really think that it would be that because his teeth looked fine on inspection...and he said because Wally was a good hay eater...he shouldn't really have any problems with spurs or anything,i'm not sure if that's true or not....but the Dr wouldn't really know this without an xray though would he?...he's just going by the exam he did onWally and how Wally has always been a good hay eater.

Also when Sas has posted about little Pipp's teeth problems..she has always said that Pipp will want to eat but then she will drop it...because her mouth was sore

Wally hasn't done that....hehad just been turning away

Also i have tried giving him something yummy to eat....but he turned his nose up at everything i tried....although last night i tried giving him a bit of oaten hay...the bit with the seeds on it and i dipped it in water....he actually took atinynibble and then he hopped away.

Yesterday....i tried him with some mesculin mix...he did reluctantlytake a little nibble of that...but then he would go hopping of and hide under the cupboard but it's more than what he has eaten the last couple of days.

He's just got me all worried because i have not seen my other bunnies do that...only if they have had an upset tummy due to gas..but they have never gone for a few days like this....this has been going on since friday evening.

Have you tried any Critical Care as a slurry, or even his pellets as a slurry? My vet had suggested using baby food (peas and carrots) syringed to my bunny for nutrition and hydration.

I am so sorry to hear you are not getting anywhere with you vet. I totally under stand your frustration in the guessing-game and wanting positive results from your nerves being on end 24/7. My prayers are withyou and your baby!

Myheart

Latest posts

Back