Walking a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gianetta

Reaction score
Does anyone out there walk their rabbit in a harness? I don't have the kind of garden that can be enclosed so I thought I'd try walking Caddy on a harness. I've managed it a couple of times and she seemed OK once she was in the harness, but getting her into it was another story! Grunting, scratching, biting - don't know whether it's worth getting her (and me ) all stressed out to do it. Anyone got any experience in walking their bun?

I know a lot of people here do walk their buns with a harness and have success. I'm planning to get one and try it out.

I think itmostly depends on yourrabbit and their personality. Also, maybe letting your bunny get used to the harness.

CaoLOVES going on the harness, and when he hears the little bell on it ring - he comes running over to be let out on it. He absolutely adores it! He will be running around (I just follow him) And quickly learned if I don't want him to go somewhere I will give a gentle pull, and he will go another direction. He goes everywhere, binkying, speeding over the grass, and making me extremely tired! He is a very in-your-face, outgoing bunny. I tied an extra lead on the existing one, so he has further do go, if I’m not catching up. :p

Colin on the other hand, doesn't like it much at all. He is more of a lazy, cuddlebunny, and gets a bit frightened of the whole open space thing. He will usually try and run back inside when I put it on.

I tried peppa and georgie on one and they werent keen x georgie bit me and growled at me and has been a bit untrusting of me ever since. I gave up and managed to escape proof the garden so they just have free roam there now which they love. Good luck i imagine with patience and time for them to get used to it they will be fine. Someone suggested to me to try just putting the harness part on and letting them get used to that for a bit without the lead. x

What type of harness are you using? There are some that are easier to get on rabbits, such as the H-harness. If you have the vest harness, those are really quite difficult to get on. I have one, and I don't use it very much.

Figure-8 rope harnesses are also easy to get on.

Emily

I have 17 buns, but only two enjoy the lead. If its a stress getting it on, then in my eyes, its not worth the trouble, but I know some people must persevere through that, you've just got to be careful of both your buns physical and emotional needs.

We walk Benny around outside sometimes on a harness. The first couple of times we put him in it, we just let him run around his usual area to get used to the harness. Then we took him outside. It was difficult to get on at first, but he loves being outside and knows that the harness means run time so he'll sit still as stone until it's on.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
What type of harness are you using? There are some that are easier to get on rabbits, such as the H-harness. If you have the vest harness, those are really quite difficult to get on. I have one, and I don't use it very much.

Figure-8 rope harnesses are also easy to get on.

Emily
I think it's an H harness. I tried a vest harness and it was hopeless. These are the only two I've ever seen in shops - don't think I've come across a Figure 8 rope harness.

Flashy wrote:
I have 17 buns, but only two enjoy the lead. If its a stress getting it on, then in my eyes, its not worth the trouble, but I know some people must persevere through that, you've just got to be careful of both your buns physical and emotional needs.
People's reactions to walking rabbits on a harness seem very mixed - it obviously depends very much on the character of the bunny! I think I might leave it alone for a bit as Caddy seems a bit aggressive with me when I approach her at the moment - best to get her trust back first.

Latest posts

Back