Waiting and waiting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SportNCurls

Reaction score
My 2 Wooly does are on day 31 today!!! One doesnot appear to have taken. She has no interest in building a nest, anddespite moving the darn thing around and disinfecting it, sheinsists on using the nestbox as a potty. sigh....

BUT Her daughter furiously built a nest in the middle of the nightbetween day 29 and 30. I watched her from a discreet place.. andchecked on her quietly thru that night :zzzzz by morning she'd pulledan impressive amount of fur and built a *beautiful*nestbut no kits :waiting:. I am trying not todisturb her too much but It is killing me.... augh!!!!!!!!!

Aw, waiting for babies is really hard.

Ours always seem to do it on the 32nd day, and one built her nestwhilst in labour and the other built it weeks before (like after twoweeks, bless her).

Fingers crossed you will get your litter soon. Hope it all goes smoothly :)

There here!!!!!!!! A monster of a ???bluepoint??? and the smaller kit, looks like a self blue. Mom is nervousfirst timer so I'll wait for pictures a bit... they are both lively butthe wee one doesn't have as full a belly as the bigger kit (who lookslike he'll burst)... how much time can I give them before interfering??I understand they will only nurse every 12 to 24 hours.

Daddy is a blue point, dam is a seal or black ... still trying toindentify those colors!(out of a siamese sable by a sablepoint).

I won't be able to show the blue point, but I am thrilled anyway.. my favorite color wish it was recognized :O)

aw, congratulations :)

With regards to interfering, that is something that is best determined by the doe, and how she is coping.

The last litter we had I held the surviving kit from day 1 because themum was highly relaxed about it, so we bonded really tightly (I breedpurely for pets, not show).

But if you do want to interfere, try stroking your hands all over the doe first so that you smell like her.

As far as I know does feed every 12-24 hours, but it can be as long as48 hours after the birth before thekit gets it first drink. Iguess for now, just try and keep and eye.

When you say 'interfere' what did you have in mind?

Flashy wrote:
When you say 'interfere' what did you have in mind?
I meant supplimenting that kit. I figured I'd give him until tomorrowto have a nice round belly, don't want to react to soon, but also don'twant to wait to long.

As long as the little one has a bit of a roundbelly i'm sure it will be fine, however if you are still worried, tryto catch mum when she is feeding, take the bigger baby away and justlet the little one feed for a couple of mins, it won't do the big oneany harm, but it will do the world of good to the small one, but youhave to watch her well to catch her feeding. Don't feed her with anyformula unless she is totally neglected and has a sunken belly, theydon't do well on replacement milk and they can inhale it up their noseseasily which chokes them to death unfortunately.

If you are worried about the little one notgetting enough milk with the big one in there. Then take thebig baby out of the nest, and try to get mom to nurse the little babyall by itself.

Move the fur back from the nest and place mom over the little one soshe's standing over the baby. The baby should immediatlystart to nurse.

Give mom some nose rubs/treats to keep her calm so her milk will come down.

Do that once a day until the smaller one seems to be holding his own.

I'm not sure if Jersey Woolies can have peanuts or not. So hopefully this one is just a runt and not a peanut.

--Dawn

Thanks Bluebird, good to know!

Can you get some pictures of the new babies SportNCurls?Peanuts have distinctive features that some breeders couldidentify. They typically have small pinched hind quarters andfunny ears.

Rabbits that carry the dwarfing gene have the ability to pass on thatdwarfing gene to their children. Normal dwarfs carry onegene, peanuts get two (a lethal combination), and some babies will endup with no dwarfing gene and be over sized.

Hopefully the little on is just a runt and not a peanut.

--Dawn

Quick Update... Late Friday night.. wellactually early Saturday morning (4am after a 12 hour shift at work;) )I checked on the babies and they looked a bitwrinkly, small bellies, but it was so hard to tell because they wererooting and squirming so hard to nurse off of me!!!!!!

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I rounded up the doe and placed her onthe nest.. she sat very still and let me rub her forehead (while Italked to her about her choice of days when I am scheduled for longshifts :yawn:) and the babies looked a little plumper.

Husband and sons on strict orders to stay away for now, except for a driveby to check for kits out of the box...

I stayed away and rechecked yesterday morning (at a decenthour)and this morning and both times have found contentbabies with round bellies! :singing:and OMG they BOING when Itouch them... :O))))))))))

The second doe was not bred we tried again today with a different buck,Instant bunny luv :bunnieskissShe never reacted to the otherbuck this way, and has had a litter with him previously... (lots ofmutual grooming, nibbles, hopping circles, snuggling up afterward....ahem the deed (s)...I have suspected they'vestartedbonded as they always hung out 'thru the wire" layingnext to each other...so if she does not take, or even if shedoes.. I am strongly considering fixing them both and completing thebonding process so she can retire happy. Fingers crossed true love hasresulted in one last litter.

Thanks for the support.. I'll try to get pictures soon!

Luke(blue point)is 2.5lbs Willow(sable point) is 3.5lbs.... Love,(seal or black??)Doe that just kindledis pretty much right at 3.0 lbs and Alexis(SiameseSable)the doe not "in foal " ;) is closer to 4.0(3.75), I always knew she might go over sized..the breederwarned shemight turn out to be a BUD without the dwarfinggene :O) but after discussing my goals we chose her over herlittermates because she hadthe nicesttypeat thattime and I felt safer starting out with a "brooddoe"... she didn't get as large as I thought she would, and is prettyclose in weight to the standard?? So she is still a dwarf right?

I would LOVE to see pictures of Peanuts.. I always pictured them asreally tiny and having a failure to thrive... but haven't seenpictures. My smaller kit seems normal in appearance, it is just thesmaller kit.

Peanuts are very noticable by their tinyears. I MEAN TINY! I will try to get pics uptomorrow. Sounds like the baby could be normal size and herlittermate is probably not carrying the dwarfing gene.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back