Vita-Vittles with Corn and Vitamin Pieces

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Kewl

Reaction score
In the wake of how silly new pet owners can be,we bought some CareFresh (first mistake) and then bought someVita-Vittles (the kind with the red, orange and green biscuit pieces,corn and pellets mixed in). The CareFresh will go to mysister-inlaw who uses it for her small buns but I am worried about theVita-Vittles. Is it safe to feed this toour rabbits?

Let me know as I am concerned that we could be hurting our buns.

Thanks,

Chris

Are they pellets with peices of things mixed in?If so, please do not feed it to your buns. It's like feeding them icecream cake three times a day;).

You must SLOWLY wean buns off of their current food and onto a new food...over the course of weeks.

If it is a treat....dried cranberries or craisins work just fine!

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

I wouldn't feed the VitaVittles atall. The corn is very bad for them. But why is the carefresha bad idea? A lot of our members use it.

I would see if you could switch to a different,plain pellet. Vita-Vittles, unfortunately is a very low quality food. Ijust did a little search and was shocked to find out it contains porkmeat and bone meal, animal fat, fish meal. It also has a max. fiber of16%. Something I wouldn't recommend feeding.

Is this the food?

http://www.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=360899&cm_ven=SortPrice&cm_cat=74&cm_pla=360899&cm_ite=360899#details

I would definetely see if you can find a different food. I was shocked when I saw the animal products in RABBIT food! Wow.

How old are your girls? Oxbow is a great pellet company and has a highquality pellet. Kaytee TimothyCompleteis alsopretty good. If you are switching, do it slowly over a 2 week period toavoid tummy upsets. :)

It's not Gold, it's the "Pet Rabbit Diet" thatwas at Petsmart. I have been picking out everything and justgiving the pellets so far.

The UPC is: 0 22053 02992 0

On the front it says Vitamin-Enriched Pellets, Corn and Vita-Bits(TM). It's the 5lb bag and it contains:

17% minimum crude protein
2% minimum crude fat
16% maximum crude fiber
12% maximum moisture.

vita-vittles.jpg

If this is not safe to feed my buns, what is safe and good for them toeat daily as a pellet? I have seen various bulk pellets atPetSmart, Pet Supply Plus and whatnot. I got this because Ifigured this would be better for them.

Onto CareFresh, I hear that Pestall and compressed sawdust is betterfor rabbits and they have no desire to eat it. Not just that,it's a lot less expensive. This is what I got from the packetfrom Midwest Rabbit when adopting the buns.

Thoughts?

Chris

Yeah, those are definately not goodpellets. Since your rabbits are adults, I recommend a timothypellet such as Oxbow Bunny Basics/T (my fave!) or Kaytee TimothyComplete. Bare minimum, pellets should be plain with notreats, 16% or less protein, 18% or more fiber.

Carefresh is fine unless the bunny nibbles it. I personallyprefer wood pellets such as Woody Pet, Equine Pine, Feline Pine,etc. Safe but less expensive and more absorbant.

Yup, those are the pellets, Chris:D.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

These are the pellets I use. Oxbow is notavailable in my area and it's much too expensive to order online. TheTimothy Complete are the next best thing. :)

t.

Latest posts

Back