Video of Nigel the Hedgehog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
A while back we had a discussion about hedgehogsas pets, and there were a few people who were quite curious as to whathedgehogs were like. Last night I caught this on video sothought I would share it with you. Here's a copy of what Iposted on another forum:

So last night Nigel was extremely hyper. I think it wasbecause of two reasons. One, we had just switched him back toaspen bedding from a liner and he, for whatever reason, loves theaspen. He likes to bury his nose in it and snuffle along andthen do circles and fling his feet around so the aspen goes flying upand lands on his quills. He's such aweirdo. And two, he was at thevet yesterday to have his toenails trimmed and to check that he didn'thave mites because he's having a problem with severely dry ears, and Ithink the visit with the vet filled him with piss andvinegar. "I am Nigel, hear me ROAR puny vet!" Heh.

Turns out it is just dry ears so now I get to attempt to put vaselineon his ears every day (good times!), but at least he doesn't need to bemedicated for mites!

Anyway, after I got home from work I went into the rodent room around8:30, checking on the wee meeces and saying hello to the guinea pigsand to my big surprise, there's Nigel up and about running around likehis bum was on fire; doing his snuffling and twirling and feet kickingand running like a mad man on his wheel. Since he NEVER getsup before 10pm (and is usually pretty cranky when I do get him up) andrefuses to run on his wheel if the light is on I had to capture a videoof him cruising on his wheel like the little exercise stud heis. ;) I tried to get some of his feet kicking,twirling antics as well but didn't have much luck with that.

Please ignore the *ahem* state of his wheel; it's in dire need of acleaning. The liner that protects his little footsies fromthe mesh needs to be ripped off and replaced with fresh stuff (which ison the agenda for this weekend actually) so it's looking pretty icky atthe moment.

Hi Elizabeth!

Aww i remember Nigel,he is such a cutie and i know i was one of thosepeople who was very curious because i did not know that you could keepa hedgehog as a pet,that was the first i had heard of someone owning ahedgehog and i know when you first introduced us to Nigel i fell inlove,he's the most cutest little thing:)

but for some reason the link to the video is not showing up and i'm not sure why but i would really love to see him:)

cheryl

Linz_1987 wrote:
WOW!! I never knew hedgehogs could run so fast! Blimney!

That is one mad hodgeheg! :D
why can everyone else see the video but me? weird

cheryl

Linz_1987 wrote:
Hmm I dont know! :?Maybe you have to turn yourcomputer upside down:DOnly joking!
hehe very funny Linz,but it is weird because the link isn't even showing up:?

cheryl

I'm seeing it, no problem!

I always wanted a hedgehog even before I accidentally realized I was a rabbit person.

Didn't know they were so zippy though, thought they were plodding little critters. :)

Give Nigel a nose pat for me! (Does he like nose pats?)

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
I'm seeing it, no problem!
argh!!!!!,i wish i could see it

cheryl

Hehe well i have seen a picture of 'the'gorgeous Nigel a while agoso i suppose i just have tovisualize him scootin around on his wheel lol

cheryl

I'm sorry Cheryl, I'm not sure why you can't seethe link. I used photobucket to post it, have you had issueswith photobucket before?

Sas - Nigel most definitely does NOT like nose pats.*L* He barely enjoys being held. He's a lean, mean,hissing machine when it comes to us humans. I still make himsit on my lap, I just don't try and "pet" him. Heh.

jordiwes wrote:
Hey Elizabeth,

What do you cover that wheel with?

Thanks!
We cover it with that stuff you can get to line kitchen cupboardswith. It's that plastic type stuff. Do you knowwhat I'm talking about? I'm not explaining it very well but Idon't know the actual "name" for it. *L*

Youcan buy it at Walmart etc. but we get it at the dollarstore because it's muchcheaper. It hasasticky side but it doesn't stick for that long to thewheelbecause of the bedding etc. so we punch holes along itand zip tie it to the wheel. It's a bit of a pain to put onbecause it is sticky but it works like a darn. Plus, sincehedgehogs like to run and poop :?at the same time, this stuffis easy to wipe down each day to help keep it clean and lasting longer.

We really liked the size and style of the mesh wheel as compared tosomething like a giant silent spinner wheel, but knew they weredangerous for catching little toes and ripping toe nails offetc. so we came up with this idea instead. I get touse the mesh wheel and Nigel gets to run without fear of breaking afoot.

Latest posts

Back