VHD

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samixXx

Reaction score
this is so not fair, after losing so many of my babies last month to a virus i found 2 of my beautiful lionheads dead salt and pepper this morning.
after what happened last time i brought the rest straight to the vet on the way up polly went crazy kicking and her head went back really far,he told me this was the diesese going to her brain, he put her to sleepafter10 mins off this kicking i couldnt watch her in pain any longer,he told me they have VHD and it was different then last time my bunnys were sick he told me there is no vaccine available here yet for it.
my 2 other babys have it as well, he gave them both baydrill i think it was called, he doesnt think they will last either.
i am so upset about all this, its just not fair. i should have done more to prevent this.
ive decided to get new homes for all my bunnys they deserve someone that will look after them better.

polly, salt & pepper :bigtears:
a1gm9.jpg

OMG I am so sorry. :hug2:

But please, don't rehome your babies. VHD is easily transmitted and can even be carried from place to place on car tires,clothes, etc. It can be very hard to prevent without the vaccine. It's not your fault.

Also, if you rehome your other rabbits there's a chance you could spread the disease. Please talk to your vet about how to properly quarantine your rabbits. Frequent cleaning with bleach may help reduce the risk of infecting your other rabbits.

Again, I'm so, so sorry.

:sad:

we power hose and bleech all the hutchs runs and cages once a week and there is big gaps between them,and the inside and outside rabbits have no contact with each other. the vets advice for me was to get a dog instead and to burn the dead rabbits, he told me even bird droppings can carry it and once they get it there isnt much that can be done:(
my other rabbits dont have it even so im going to put very small chicken wire all over the runs just in case.
he is a very good vet, and said there isnt anything really i can do to prevent it.
i have to go back to him friday and my boyfriend will be off so we will more then likely bring the 11 other outdoor rabbits into him to be checked over.
im so annoyed there is no vaccine, he said this diesese is new to ireland they have only seen it in the last 2 years.

What horrible, horrible news.

Dont beat yourself up though. You are such a good bunny parent and I would hate to see you have to rehome any of them. As Naturestee said,its also probably better not to rehome them, to prevent spread of the disease.

I thought there was a vaccine for VHD?

Again, so sorry for your loss.I'll be praying for theothers:pray:

-Haley

EDIT: Apparently the vaccine is only available in some areas (I think the UK has it). Heres a good link for more info:http://www.rabbit.org/care/vhd.htmlIm so sorry you have to deal with this.

i wish it was available here, my vet taught it was too so he rang around to check but he said no they dont have it over here.
it was just awful watching polly die like that, the other 2 dont seem to be too bad but VHD sometimes doesnt show any symtoms like the first2.
im annoyed i didnt notice something i was out with them till 2 am last night making sure they were all warm enough and they honestly seemed fine they were eating and drinking.
im going to do my best to save the other 2 just like i did with erin my other bunny that caught a virus a month ago. she is in perfect health again.

they are in a seprate room and i have told banned anyone from going near them just in case this spreads

is vhd and rhd the same thing?

yes, they are the same thing.

Thats just awful, but I really dont think theres anything you couldve done. Just be sure to wash everything after you touch the ones who maybe infected (clothes and everything)..from what I read it spreads very easily.

Im so sorry you have to go through this. What a terrible holiday for you :(

i have found a website that sells the vhd vaccine to vets only, im wondering if i show it to my vet would he b eable to order it?

im changing my clothes and washing everything with bleach but i have always done that as i have babies in the rabbit rooms, at the moment they are the only thing cheering me up.

both rabbits are still with us, so fingers crossed :pray:
i think we might have gotten these to the vet on time, he wants me to bring them back tomorrow if there still alive for more shots.
im hopeing he will be on call over christmas just in case.

Oh no! that is just devestating!,you poor thing..i'm so sorry :(

They were such pretty little things too!

Ohh let's just hope that the other 2 will be ok...i'm praying so hard for you

many hugs..:hug2:

cheryl

thanks for all your prayers and good taughts they really mean a lot to me.
the 2 lionheads are doing ok, but i think this might have spread to ginger lop doe who would have been in the next hutch by herself,
normally she just sits in the bedroom part on the higer floor but today shes just sleeping down the bottom on the hay all day, she wouldnt move to get up for her food so i brought it down, she ate but is just not herself, normally she hates me touching her but today she just stayed still:(
we have the vets again tomorrow :pray:

i really dont understand how this happened my bunnys are very well looked, if anything there to spoilt!

Oh no not another bunny,poor little things :(

Just remember,this is not your fault :hug2:

I'm hoping that the other bunnies will pull through this

:pray:praying for the bunnies:pray:

cheryl

all 3 lasted the night, the lop im stil not sure if she has it, im taking her to the vet anyway just to be sure. i have closed off the runs in the other hutchs all thats outside now is my angoras and lops and 2 of my 7 rexs, i have the rest all divided up indifferent rooms

the vet has giving the lionheads the all clear plus another shot.
the red lopdoes not have vhd but he gave her a shot incase,
he gave me enough medicine to dose 10 rabbits incase anything happensover christmas, and he got the vaccine they need and is comeing downthe 27th dec to vaccine all the outdoor and indoor rabbits.

i have 1 nursing doe and 1 preg doe so i dont think a vaccine is safe for them

happy to say all my bunnys are doing great. no more sick buns either.
i hope this horrible virus does not come back:(

Back