Vetergesic drug use

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole S

Reaction score
So I had Ella at the vets this morning as she trapped her front paw in a door last night. However she started using 4 feet quite quickly after. I think it’s causing her a bit of discomfort but nothing major as she is still up and about and she’s been jumping on and off the couch and all sorts.

I should probably mention Ella is also a mum and has 5 two week old babies at home.

The vet took an x ray and said there was some swelling and what could be a minor fracture. But couldn’t be sure as she wasnt showing her whole arm.

The vet then went on to explain about the use of Vetergesic and described it as an off licence drug but couldn’t tell me much about it other than it will make her ‘a bit’ sleepy and also the babies too. And immediately got out a waver form to say that I understood it it not authorised for use on rabbits nursing young.
She couldn’t explain anything about what it would do to the babies other than they would take some in from her milk.

I called my husband and asked for his advice and he didn’t like the sound of it.
I’ve come home with Ella and she is snuggled up to her babies whilst I researched the use of vetergesic. What I’m reading about it is horrible and I don’t want to read anymore. Some people have had awful experiences with it and it had really put me off.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience of it’s use on a lactating rabbit and what effects it can have.

Also don’t think I wouldn’t let her have the painkiller just because of her young. I want nothing more than her to be well and happy but I don’t know anything about this drug and how it could effect Ella herself and her young. And the stress it could put on her if she potentially lost them. She’s besotted with them, I couldn’t put her through the heartache of losing them.

Back