Vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishmist

Reaction score
I took Pez to the Vet today to have his pre-opfor his neuter and decided to make it a double appointment and haveCleo's teeth checked.First off putting them in the samecarrier was not a good idea Pez was all over Cleo making the trip tothe vet bad to start. So I took Cleo and wrapped her in atowel and carried her that way, boy oh boy did she enjoythat...NOT!

Cleo had been doing a lot of mouthing and would not have anything to dowith carrots. I was right in assuming that there wassomething wrong with her teeth. All four molars had spurs onthem that were almost a 1/4 inch. The top spurs were facinginward and trapping the tongue and the bottom 2 were facing outwardand rubbing on the cheek. Her lower incisors were alittle long as well. Cleo is not a big chewer unless ithappens to be her favourite treat...phone cords.

Pez had his pre-op and all went well with that, he had blood work drawnand a fecal float. Never realized that the only time therabbits DON'T poop is when they are at the vets! His exam wasdone in another room so that they could do the blood work at the sametime. He comes back to me and talk about mad. Hesat there and glared at me thru slitted eyes, I talked to him insoothing tones and he THUMPED at me! One mad bunny one to go.

Cleo, was very good with her examination, until they checked herteeth. Hard to believe it took 2 people to hold her so theycould look in her mouth. There was no way she was gonna lethim put that thing in her mouth. Finally he got a look at theteeth, and he said they need to be taken care of ASAP. So inthe back she goes, gets put under anesthesia and gets them taken careof. The removal of the spurs was successful, but we had towait an hour for her, to make sure she was stable when she came out ofit. They bring her out from the back wrapped in a blanket(bunny burrito) and I had to make sure she was held so shewas on her stomach. She did not move the whole wayhome. She just laid in my arms and whimpered. Whenwe got home I unwrapped her. There was blood all over her jaw(apparently this procedure traumatizes the gums). But evenworse there was one single tear running down her face. I heldher for a bit, but she wanted down and is now in hiding in mybedroom. The vet said that she may not eat because her mouthis sore.

So any suggestions on what I might give her in the meantime, besidesnutri-cal (I think she is traumatized enough lol). Could Igive her some baby food? She is so fussy and I think that ifI even thought about syringing her, she would have a fit. Iam probably being a worry wart, but the last thing I want is to haveother complications set in.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Susan

irishmist wrote:
There was blood all over her jaw (apparently this procedure traumatizesthe gums). But even worse there was one single tear runningdown her face.
Oh, Susan. This makes ME want to cry. Poor baby.

I wonder if she'd lick up some baby food. I'm sorry I don'thave any advice. I've never had to deal with this.

I hope she feels better soon.

Laura

I don't have any advice either, but I'm sorryyour baby had to go through that. Poor lil thing.Hope she feels better soon and can eat something.

Glad everything went well with the pre-op exam. Have you been forgiven yet? ;)

Veggi baby food ifshe will take it , be sure there is notany sugars or salts if you canbuy the all natural ones . poor bbay, doent seem tome her gumsd should havebled for a mere tooth grindingthough.

:tears2:I'm sitting here in tears. The poor girl. I will be thinking and praying for her.

Pez, W:shock:W, you think you are mad now wait until your boysdisappear.:shock:Mommy will be buttering you up for surethen. You be good for mom.

Susan, I will be praying for as well as I know this must be stressful for you as well.

:hug:

Tina & Zoo Crew

Hi irishmist,

I'm so sorry you and the little ones are having such a day of it.

Why don't you make a pellet slurry? Just soak some pellets inwater. See if she'll take it. For that matter, I'd crush upan apple or any of the foods she likes. I don't think she'llwant to chew anytime today or tomorrow until those gums heal.

I'll say a prayer for a fast recovery.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Why don't you make a pellet slurry? Just soak some pellets in water. See if she'll take it.

-Carolyn

You took the thought right outta my head....pellet slurry.:sickbunny:

Have you got a food processor...it'll make baby food out of just about anything (even phone cords.... jk).;)

Make sure she's taking in fluids, too.

Bother be the bunnie fit and syringe if you have too. She may not like it, but she'll probably sense that you're trying to help.

Poor bunnie....prayers and good thoughts sent!!:pray:

~Jim

NO additional advice, but good thought for youand the two babes. Hope Cleo feels better soon and Pez getsover his sulk.

:tears2:

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers We appreciate them all!

Cleo has pretty much stuck to the same place as she was when we gothome. I offered her some sweet potatoe baby food (normallyshe would have inhaled it). When I gave it to her she smelledit and backed herself into the corner. I had thought she atethe baby food but had none on her face. Pez had got in the room and hehad it all over his face.

As for a slurr, she won't eat her pellets if water gets on them soshort of syringing them she wont touch them. She is so pickycompared to the other bunns who are mammal garbage disposals.

She does not appear to me in anymore pain but not any lesseither. Can she have an aspirin, if so what kind and howmuch? I am gonna try and get some water and food into her nowand see what happens.

Will post later and let you know.

Susan

OMG poor Cleo! I hope she feels better soon.

Does she like apples? You could try offering unsweetenedapple sauce- it would at least get something in her. If shelikes oats you could try sprinkling some on her sweet potatoes or applesauce.

:pinkpansy:

woo hoo!

she ate some pellets.. I am sooooo happy!!! She went into Pez's cage and stole some!

Thanks everyone for supporting this old worry wart!

Susan

Carolyn wrote:
Hi irishmist,

I'm so sorry you and the little ones are having such a day of it.

Why don't you make a pellet slurry? Just soak some pellets inwater. See if she'll take it. For that matter, I'd crush upan apple or any of the foods she likes. I don't think she'llwant to chew anytime today or tomorrow until those gums heal.

I'll say a prayer for a fast recovery.

-Carolyn
Great idea! I've heard (read) the same thing. Maybemix in a bit of pumpkin too :pPlease keep usposted. Thinking about your buns.

Hugs! Krick

Oww that sounds painful indeed. Maybe you couldbelnd some veggies and feed her the juice. Its what got my bun eatingwhen she was not feeling well a while back

Poor Cleo! Sparky had to have a molarspur filed down, but I actually can't give you any advise on feedingsince nothing gets in the way of my little piggy and food.She was back at the trough as soon as she got back home. Ihope her poor little mouth feels better soon.

irishmist wrote:
woo hoo!

she ate some pellets.. I am sooooo happy!!!? She went into Pez's cage and stole some!

Thanks everyone for supporting this old worry wart!

Susan

:yes:

Not only did she eat some pellets, she was feisty enough to Steal them! I love this rabbit!

Wouldn't worry about aspirin at this point because she's eating.Rabbits won't eat if they're in pain. Especially after what your littleone has gone through.

That said, baby aspirin usually proves harmless and helpful. I wouldn'tspeculate on amount without knowing her weight and approximate age.

Keep up the good work, Susan, and please keep us posted.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Hey! So glad you bunny is doingbetter. I am new to bunnies, but was thinking that maybe itwould be a good idea to keep some Critical Care on hand in case she hasthe teeth problem again. I would also ask for painmeds if she's going to be sore. Even if you only gave themfor one day or so after the trim. She shouldnt have tosuffer. Not eating is scary!

Good luck!

Back