Vet or no vet? Help my baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittanyandFruFru

Reaction score
Fru is my male mini lop about eight months old, and when we first got him would eagerly eat up all his food but recently he has been eating less. We just had him neutored but the problem started before. we haven't been too worried because he seems very active but after doing research my fear is he has a hairball, i have been giving him pineapple juice but he won't drink it. the vet we see is about an hour and a half away and since he just had an opperation don't want to put him through the stress of the vet inless I have to. Do you all think its best to take him or wait it out?i

How long has he been eatting less? Some bunnies as the grow don't eat as much. How much are you feeding and what are you feeding?

When was he neutered?

He was neutored only a few days ago, He always has fresh hay, about a cup and a half of veggies and a cup of pellets but he only seems to want the pellets.

Did the vet get a look at his teeth during the neuter? Often they will intubate the bunnies while they are under anesthesia (put a tube down the throat to help them breathe), which gives them a good look at the teeth. Lops can have tooth problems often and stopping eating only one kind of food is often a sign of a tooth problem.

He only needs about 1/2 cup of pellets. He's reached maturity and has probably stopped growing therefore requires less food. Same thing happened to my two Holland does; they'd eat like crazy until recently((8-9 months)) and now they both eat about 1/2 cup and really refuse to eat more.
And does he usually eat his veggies/hay?

But, still check his teeth. Do it yourself or ask someone experienced to do it. Or you can go to the vet but it's really not hard to do yourself.

Thanks for all the help. When he was neutored I never even got to speak with the vet. I was giving him about a half a cup of pellets a day but since thats all he will eat lately I didn't want him to get hungry, He's my first rabbit so I am still learning. He is such a brat, but he is my brat and I don't know what I would do without him. I just wish the vet wasn't so far away,

Latest posts

Back