vet ettiquette question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamsWarren

Reaction score

I hope that this question is appropriate and that I am posting it in the right place. I have a vet ettiquette question that I've always wondered about. There are two vet clinics that I regularly use. There are pros and cons to both clinics; I book my appointments based on vet schedule/availability and the condition that needs to be treated. Is it appropriate to use two vets at the same time to treat the same rabbit for different but potentially related conditions?

A brief bit of background...Fuzz (12.5 yo neutered male) was seeing one of the vets for regular molar grinds. Several months ago, Fuzz started to have a harder time with the anesthetic and issues with his eye (increased pressure, discharge), so at the vet's suggestion, I started taking him to another clinic with a vet who was comfortable filing small points off of the molars without anesthetic and for a second opinion on the eye. This clinic is managing Fuzz's molar issues well. We also had the eye under control, but the discharge has increased and now it is cloudy again. I've followed up a number of times with the vet (at his request) re: the condition of the eye, but I've gotten no where - not even a call back (not unusual follow up for this clinic). I don't want to write a novel or go into a rant about how awful the service at some clinics can be, but ideally I would like for one vet to manage Fuzz's teeth and the other to manage his eye. I am not sure if appropriate, though, as the two conditions could potentially be related. I would be completely upfront with both vets about Fuzz's treatment, condition and progress.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Well, it sounds like the first vet is ok with you using the second vet for tooth issues, but maybe the second vet doesn't feel the same way about having the first vet do the eye issues.

The conditions could be related, though, which is a real issue. You could ask the tooth vet if she's less comfortable doing eye treatments, and that the other vet might be more experienced at that, but I would want to make sure they're not connected. Has a head x-ray been done?

We did do an xray, but not in a while. The first vet is able to take digital dental quality xrays; last time I had xrays done at the second vet, they were on film. I was just thinking about having another xray done. The second (tooth) vet does not think that the eye and the teeth are related; I am not convinced.

The second vet is quite capable of dealing with eye issues; I just do not feel that Fuzz is getting the treatment he needs from this clinic at the moment. I am not sure how the second vet would feel about sharing Fuzz's treatment, but Fuzz's quality of care should not suffer because of someone's ego or the clinic's terrible follow up care. Plus dealing with the terrible follow up service is making me crazy.

I think I will book Fuzz in with the first clinic to discuss having an xray done. I doubt I'll get an appointment immediately and I can always cancel if I change my mind.

Yeah, I agree. It would be good to get the x-ray done (digital if possible). You could always say that the reason you went to the other vet for eye issues is because they didn't have enough open appointments for follow-up care, that they were too busy, that way it wouldn't be as upsetting, I hope.

The clinic I work in is pretty open to using other vets for other problems, as long as everyone is kept up to date on the treatments so nothing is done that could possibly cause an interaction. Being honest, for anything extensive, I take my reptiles to a different clinic. My boss is aware of this and just understands that the other vet I use is more experienced with reptiles.

Just handle it tactfully and it should be fine. I'm not sure that the tooth and the eye wouldn't be related either. I'd definitely do the x-ray with vet #1. I'm guessing that he/she would be willing to send the results to vet #2 because vet#1 gave the initial recommendation for vet #2. Also, everyone is entitled to a second opinion.

Jen

Latest posts

Back