Very odd baby bun (Netherland dwarf)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I have a very strange little bun in my most recent litter. I am not sure if he is simply a runt or an "able" Max factor. He is seven weeks now and from the start always developed slower than his sister. His fur feels totally different. It feels very fine and very fluffy, almost like cotton wool. His eyes never appear fully open but slightly covered by the upper lids. He appears to be healthy otherwise and is eating all the time (yet stays a bit small and on the skinny side) I have also noticed although he is hopping normally he never jumps up on things like all my baby rabbits would at this stage.
Has anyone ever had a ND baby like that?

Sorry I have not been able to upload pictures yet. I have taken a few the other day and will post them here tonight.

Sorry it took me so long but my photobucket kept crashing :-(
Here are a few pictures of Pete and also one of him with his mum and sister:
PHOT0082.jpg

PHOT0080.jpg

PHOT0084.jpg

PHOT0088.jpg

The third picture shows his fur. I hope they are clear enough to see?
Any comments would be appreciated!
P.S. He is supposed to go as a pet together with his mum but I want to make sure there is no underlying problem with him.

This is EXACTLY what my baby 11 week old Netherland Dwarf Horatio is like!! We have had him over a week now and he has never jumped on anything. His eyes are open, but most of the time he sleeps after he has a big run around. He is very healthy and extremely happy with us and was already doing binkies and flops the first night he came! He tooth purrs all the time when I give him rubs and loves nothing more than to do a big flop and sleep while I stroke him. His fur looks exactly like that too!

I think he must have been the runt of my breeders litter because he is even smaller than your baby you are showing. He is eating an awful lot though, so we expect him to grow quite fast :p He was taken to uni every day with my breeder and I think that is why he is so happy around humans.

My Horatio seems absolutely perfect though, and I love he hasn't jumped onto anything yet because I can confine him for longer in a smaller play pen until he is litter trained.

I have some photos on my introduction topic called 'New bunny to 'fix' Poe".

I think his new family will adore him - I know we love our unique little boy!

T

Horatio sounds like a cutie. Pete is really lovable too. He is the friendlier of the two babies but is just way quieter to the buns I am used to. This and his rather odd appearance just worried me a bit.

Ray's fur is exactly the same - fuzzy but not like normal bunny fur. I think it should come to be a lot more.. bunny like after he sheds a bit. He is suppose to be chocolate brown after his first molt as well. At the moment he is grey-ish with chocolately brown tips so he looks a little dirty at times :p

Believe me I was surprised too! We met the breeder in a McDonalds parking lot and she was just nuring him in her arms - no cage or anything! He loves it though. He tooth purred the whole way home with us and he had only just met us. He is getting more active as the days go by but he loves nothing more than to nap :p

Like I said though we love him that way. He is so special! I know it isn't normal behaviour to be so loving instantly, so I am very thankful! He is also very healthy and happy so we are thankful for that too :D

T

Could be he's just a slow developer. Sounds like he is developing but in a slower pattern than his siblings. Looks healthy. Though his eyes are not fully open, they look clear. If he's a pet, I don't think anyone would worry about his "showable" qualities. He could be the perfect lap bunny for someone. If he's laid back, easy to handle, eating and drinking, he'll be perfect for someone to love.

K :)

Latest posts

Back